Nakie eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Pulled this out of Tucker's eye yesterday. It surfaced after I flushed it a few times with a syringe filled with water. Looks like paper soaked with porphyfin - think its been in there awhile, but yesterday his eye just looked horrendous!! Looks bigger than it was - I zoomed in to take the picture. He saw the vet today and everything looks good - ointment twice a day.
8eb682c7c1065121cdeb2dc73845a36d.jpg

Pulled this out of Tucker's eye yesterday. It surfaced after I flushed it a few times with a syringe filled with water. Looks like paper soaked with porphyfin - think its been in there awhile, but yesterday his eye just looked horrendous!! Looks bigger than it was - I zoomed in to take the picture. He saw the vet today and everything looks good - ointment twice a day.
8eb682c7c1065121cdeb2dc73845a36d.jpg

Welcome to the world of nakies and their debris magnet eyes LOL.

Ferdy went in today to be gassed down and debris removed from under his 3rd eyelids. Unfortunately for him, he has a crazy fast healing response and actually grew tissue over the cornea to protect it from the debris, so will be blind for life.

For nakies like this, you will need to watch and see if their lids look "full". It may just be one eye that is the main problem as well, not both. To help flush debris and keep him comfortable you may want to start flushing the eye daily to give it that little bit of help.

He's 22 months already this is first large particle removed, but told hubby I thought something was in there earlier and to take him in to be seen. He already had an ulcer on the eye that is healed. He's doing better now that its out. My nakies have been one giant, but lovable, headache! Down from 7 to 2...

Tucker just cannot catch a break. Yesterday he was having some breathing difficulty - he sounds like a chirping bird. Gave him lasix and theophylline.

This morning his eye had yellow pus coming out of it (see pic) and still had respiratory issue. He saw our regular vet this afternoon who is concerned his eye is resembling Newton's. However, he has pneumonia and isn't doing very well. I'll feel more hopefully if he gets through the next 48 hours.

bf596886617d85556c22ce7c983f4ed9.jpg

He's made it 48 hours, but he's still losing weight and not eating much. He's so squeaky when he breathes he sounds like he needs oil. Trying to syringe feed, but he's not really interested. He's on lasix twice a day (once a day after today), theophylline twice a day, and azithromycin once a day. I want to add baytril and a dex injection (per ratguide and I have it on hand) Our dex is expired, but I think it will be fine. We're also nebulizing him with just normal saline and that seems to help. I just need our vet to call back so I can run this past her. I don't see how it can hurt at this point.

He's made it 48 hours, but he's still losing weight and not eating much. He's so squeaky when he breathes he sounds like he needs oil. Trying to syringe feed, but he's not really interested. He's on lasix twice a day (once a day after today), theophylline twice a day, and azithromycin once a day. I want to add baytril and a dex injection (per rat guide and I have it on hand) Our dex is expired, but I think it will be fine. We're also nebulizing him with just normal saline and that seems to help. I just need our vet to call back so I can run this past her. I don't see how it can hurt at this point.

I have had a warm mist vaporizer (water only) going in the rat room for about 5 hours now, but I have no idea if it's doing any good. I cannot get him to eat/drink anything. He is using Sneezer and Bristol (taking turns) to lay over. I'm just going to go ahead and give him Baytril with the Azitho - I have nothing to lose at this point.

Changed his meds yesterday. I also think he has an ear infection. Yesterday he was scratching at it and shaking his head. He's also listing to the left kind of stumbling over that way. Plus, if I touch around the base of his left ear he shakes it and try to get away. So we stopped the azithro and switched to chloroplam twice a day, theophylline as needed (so I haven't stopped it), lasix once a day, and metacam twice a day. Last night I was able to get him to eat 7 mls of baby food.

This morning he is still very weak, but stumbling around some. Hopefully I can get him to eat more tonight. He is cool to the touch - that comes and goes. I don't know how to keep him warmer in the cage.

Any suggestions about anything will be considered since I'm still not confident he's going to pull through this.

75e0219440b239458cf52c156f243242.jpg

Tucker passed away last night. He spend the day being loved on and left us after being put to bed. Rest well my Tuck Tuck...and play nice with Wally

Last edited:
Back