Tail injury

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicki

Hey guys,

This little guy that we have at work as some tail injuries that showed up a couple days ago, I just have no idea how it could have happened, he is housed on his own and I don't see anywhere in he cage it could have been caught. Any chance this could be ring tail? any thoughts?

He has been on some pain meds for a couple days but there has been little to no improvement and usually in my experience injuries start healing pretty quickly.

Tail wounds have to heal by 2nd intention (heal and grow together) unlike most sounds where the skin is touching the other side. It looks pretty normal right now. Watch for signs of infection but these usually heal well.

So his tail was getting worse every day even on the meds... The vet put him on Clavamox, so I put him in a room with a humidifier and have been coating his tail with lanolin oil a few times a day. It finally seems to have stopped getting worse but the problem now is he his congested and sneezy. I called the vet the shelter uses and they said to just continue with the clavamox but it really isn't doing anything. It's hard with it being a foster because I cant really make the decisions with him. I am going to call my personal vet tomorrow for some advice but thought I would see what you guys think. Any luck with clavamox for flare ups? I have baytril and doxy here for my own rats but not sure they can be added with clavamox. Ugh poor little guy:(

Back