GUYS. Sid is in the big colony!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatTheHippie

GUYS. GUYS. I'M SO EXCITED.

Remember a while back I made a few posts after Nancy passed, about introing Sid into the big cage? I tried a few times, but each time he showed a lot of aggression toward the other boys, even when he wasn't provoked:

-I tried one-on-one intros with each member,
- tried group intros, I tried intros in an unfamiliar/scary place,
-I tried intros in a familiar place with both of their scents on things,
-I tried rubbing them all with baby wipes to remove scent,
-I tried rubbing them all with dirty bedding so they'd smell the same.
-I tried dabbing vanilla extract on them to mask scents.

So as you can see I tackled just about every intro method available. Nothing worked. I was starting to think that neutering him was the only way to go.. but surgeries on these little guys make me so nervous, and I have no idea what Sid's actual age is since he came from the shelter so there's that risk too.

But, I had an idea. Rich and I had been staying at my parent's house for the holidays, and it's an 8 hour car drive back home. I remembered reading in a bunny group about how sometimes it's easiest to bond 2 bunnies together if you put them in a carrier and take them for a drive in the car, because they get a little afraid and seek shelter in each other. So I decided why not, and gave it a shot. I put Sid in the cat carrier with the boys. I kept an eye on them the whole trip, and they did AWESOME. By the end of it, Sid and Lemmy were cuddled up together on top of an igloo.
When we got home I put up the DCN and put everyone in it, and so far so good! There have been a few squabbles, but only between Sid and Danzig, and it's nothing intense, just a little boxing. So they're working out the dominance in the group. But they're all behaving and I'm SOOOOO happy! Yay for one big colony in one big cage!

Yaaaaay!! This has made my day lol oh Sid, well done boy.

I'm the same in that I won't put them through surgery unless it's life or death or they are under a year in age. Even then I'm a maelstrom of emotional panic before, during and after the procedure! Nightmare! I've lost quite a few rats because of anesthetic. You lost your Rhydian like that if I recall.

I've also heard that putting hostile rats in small space will resolve the conflicts and help them bond.

Pleeeeaase post pictures of him with his buddies when you get the chance!

We did that with Peanut and Lovee at the vet the day they both lost their cagemates. Into one travel cage they went. Neither was neutered and they bonded instantly. I find the car and vet is a great place to go with them together in one travel cage.

Way to go Sid...

I'm sorry this update took so long. Sid is super camera shy and every photo I take with him in it ends up blurry. I finally got one of him and Ozzy in the jack O'lantern :)

P.S. don't mind Ozzy's eye. It's been a little leaky lately so he's been on antibiotics to help it clear up.

IMG_0467.jpg

This has been my most difficult intro by far, so I'm so happy it's all worked out. Sid did end up having to get neutered, but it was for the best, and everyone's happy now!

WHOOOOHOOOO! So glad to hear hes made friends!

I will be starting intros again soon once the foster boys neuters heal and we wait out the hormones a bit. Vanilla is a great idea, and thats so true about rats bonding throufg situations like that! I remember taking two of my boys to the vet together and they were besties afterward, whereas they hadnt hung out before that.

Back