Baby boys and Pregnant Female

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
Okay! So I was on facebook and saw two cuties for adoption. I really would like to take them. The problem is this:
I have 5 males. Two are together, another two are together, and then one is by himself, Matteo. Matteo was a rescue who has not been around other rats his whole life. He is probably around 2 years? I am not sure. Matteo would be the one I would pair the two babies up with. BUT, Matteo, last time I tried intros, was terrified of the other rats. He hid in the corner with his head hidden. The other four boys won't tolerate another rat(too old and grumpy!!). I don't want Matteo to be scared. He is my baby boy. I know that these babies will be rambunctious too. So I am lost. I really don't want another cage. :help:

how old are the rats you're looking to adopt?
chances are if they are really babies, ie young, they will get along great with your lone boy

I had a rat who lived alone for a year, before I got him. It took him awhile to learn how to behave around other rats but after that, he was so close to his buddies!

if you decide to get these guys, could you let Matteo sit on your lap with the newbies so he's less scared?
I bet you anything he'll come around fast and realize that the newbies wont' hurt him

just curious, if Matteo is around 2, how old are the other "grumpy old" guys??

I'm not sure the age, here is a picture of them below.
My other boys really aren't old, they are around 2 as well. They did NOT handle intros well so that's why I call them grumpy. They would definitely need a neuter, and I cannot afford 4 neuters as of right now. I've really wanted to get Matteo cuddle buddies. I have tried everything but the others are just mean to him.

hairless.jpg

blackbl.jpg

My Christmas was part of a large group of injured rats abandoned in two plastic bins outside of a local SPCA.
He was terrified of other rats and tried to kill other rats.
His social skills with other rats were not very good either, although he was wonderful and loving with people.

I eventually introed Christmas with some babies who I believe were around 8 weeks old
Although he needed his space, Christmas loved them!
He would groom them, sleep with them, and even allow them to take food out of his mouth.
Christmas and his 4 babies lived in a double CN so Christmas had plenty of space when he needed it ... although the babies adored him and would follow him around.

The final baby, River was pts today after being treated for chf for the last approx. 7 months. River was approx. 30 months old.
I am completely devastated .... I miss her so very much.

I am so glad that I introed Christmas to the 2 baby boys and 2 baby girls (my rats are neutered & spayed)
and my only regret is that I waited so long to try him with babies.

btw here are the intro steps: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368
good luck

Last edited:
With a timid older rat that doesn't react aggressively babies are the best choice for them :). I had a little old lady who once her sisters passed was absolutely terrified of other rats even if they were gentle. She would scream in fear and run. She was spayed so I got Pocky a baby boy. She accepted him right away and he taught her she COULD be with others. She ended up with 5 other rats :)

Unfortunately I waited too long and I think these guys are gone :/
But now I know if there are babies for adoption I can get two for my scaredy boy. I am disappointed but babies are always around I suppose :)
He wasn't mean at all, just scared last time. Thanks everyone!

Well, I found my boys! They are adorable and sweet and AHH! :kisses: :love5:
I have attached a pic, I know that they are double rex. Are they capped or something? The one behind looks hooded but it stops at his neck like his brother and then there's a spot behind it.
When should I start intros? Matteo is like 4 times their size!
They have no names yet, suggestions would be great! Thanks!
:heart:

20160104_012839.jpg

ooh, names! okay, here are some random ones, idk if you'll love them or not but we'll see!

sergio, petri, edwin, louis/lou, ramsey, gus, donald, mo/bo, rory, leon, major, marvin, mort, murphy, boo, tinker, baloo, duncan, tiki, dewey

hope that helped some!

oh so tiny and so cute!

give them a couple of days to settle in and get used to their new home and then I think you can pretty much start right away!
I got two new girls that are 12 weeks old, they arrived Sat night, and I hope to start intro's tonight with my two older girls.

In fact I need to go thru the intro threads here and refresh my memory on the do's and don'ts of intros.

For names, I tend to go with cutesy things, or food related names, hahahaha
I keep thinking if I have any pairs of boys in the future, one will be named Tater and the other one Tot.

I like names such as Pumpkin, Pickle(s), Pudding, Peanut (hmm, seem to be on a P streak, hahahaha)
Biskit, um, ok now I'm gonna have to go get something to eat!

a lot of times rats will "tell you" their names; the names will come to you as you get to know them.

congRATulations on the new wee ones!

My mom is naming the one with the spot on his head Elliott. I still don't have a name for the other yet!
We found some lice on them so they got an oil bath and then a bath with sensitive soap to get the oil off. We took all the buggers off and then I disinfected the cage. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
Anyone know what markings they are and then know the difference between double rex and patchwork? I don't know what they are. They are bald in some spots and then have curly hair in others

20160104_115413.jpg

Matteo is a year and 8 months, SQ. So I will wait.
Ugh I picked up a female from my snake breeder co-worker. He said that she had been with males. Guess I'm watching for babies. She only looks to be 2 or 3 months. I think she is a mink velveteen. She is sweet but scared. I don't blame the poor girl. I was going to give her to my friend, but she doesn't want to get a second rat for her. I said hell no and unless I see the second rat she is staying with me and will move in with my females.

2016-01-06 21.14.27.jpg

So the girl I picked up is obviously over 5 weeks and was with boys for at least one week. Is it safe to assume she's pregnant? I just started weighing her today. What should I do for her to help the babies? She is a baby herself.

She only looks to be 2 or 3 months.

If she was around 5 or 6 weeks she might not be but at 2 or 3 months she is pregnant if she was with the boys when she went into heat.
Since rats go into heat every 3 or 4 days, if she was with the boys very long, she is likely pregnant.

Keep weighing her around the same time each day and record her weight.
Feed her good healthy food.

I really can't tell how old she is. She weighs 137G today if that helps any? She gets Oxbow adult rat and fresh veggies everyday. Comparing her to my 5 week old boys she is at least double their age

I really can't tell how old she is. She weighs 137G today if that helps any? She gets Oxbow adult rat and fresh veggies everyday. Comparing her to my 5 week old boys she is at least double their age

do you mean she is double the size of the 5 week old boys?
I don't think their growth is even... so she could be twice as big but only a few weeks older, I think
Not too familiar with babies, I'd ask Peggy or Shelagh or Jo, someone who has had a lot of babies

I hope she's not pregnant but I think weighing her is the best thing to do. Even then it may be hard to tell til you get close to the time she'd give birth, assuming she's pregnant, since babies are of course, growing and getting bigger anyway.

then you need to look for the hair to be loss/chewed off? around her nipples and things like that. But that's just before birthing, so...

I hope she's not pregnant, but at least she's safe now

Back