Baby Rat- Vet tomorrow, need Reccomendations.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
I have a baby rat that a friend is taking, but he has pneumonia. What should I ask at the vet tomorrow? (The pet store we work at is paying for this visit) I have no clue what age he is, he fits in one hand. Very hard and labored breathing, coughs, lot's of nose cleaning (but no porphyrin at all?) hunched posture, and feels cold. I got some baby food for him for tonight. I think I will heat a rice sock to keep him warm. I am hoping it is pneumonia rather than a heart problem. He is such a sweet boy. He was given to me since he is so young and the older, bigger male rats were being bullies.
I am thinking of asking for zithro or amox? A nebulizer treatment? Thanks, I know you all will help me because you are awesome. :toothy2:

Depends ... where are you located? Different vets have different levels of receptiveness to ideas

NC, USA. I have a vet that I love but the store is only allowing us to use one vet or else it come out of my pocket. I know the vet they use(I used to use him until I found the wonderful Dr.Spindel) and I will be speaking my mind so no need to worry about that.
:)

Depends, clavamox is effective for secondary infections.

Azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, orally, twice a day) is pediatric friendly. With older rats it isn't very effective unless paired with baytril, but I have heard it is effective alone in young rats. If it helps he will need it for 6 weeks. I get a prescription from my vet and get it filled at the pharmacy.

good luck

Back