Hello from Toronto,Ontario,Canada

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyTailz

Hello everyone,

I just recently adopted four beautiful rats from a questionable breeder here in Toronto. I have two huge cages that I had from when I owned rats years ago and never got rid of them because well I did not see myself without rats even this long. I got two boys (Edward and Jacob) and two girls (Bella and Renesmee) obviously separated into the two cages and in totally separate rooms (boys in living room and girls in the bedroom) but, when I got them this was not always so.

When I went to pick out my babies she brought out four tubs of rats all different ages that were not even separated into boys and girls and she also would not even let me into her place I had to meet her outside. Needless to say I am concerned about the health of not only my rats, but all the rats she had in those bins, and however many more she had in her home as I am not sure why I was made to wait outside. :cuss:

These rats are all very well behaved, but the girls have a bit of a respiratory problem so if I remember right Tetracycline would help that? Is there anything else you think I should look for? Thanks for reading my story on how I ended up with my babies and why I joined this forum of people who from what I read are very kind and knowledgeable. :)

I can't wait to get to know you all much better. Does anyone ever use the chat?

Last edited:
How old are they?
Yes, many people use doxycycline. I have never found it useful when given by itself.
Baytril or baytril + doxycycline or baytril + azithromycin are good for myco flareups infections.
Clavamox is good for secondary infections

Azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, orally twice a day) is a pediatric friendly antibiotic. I buy it from a pharmacy by prescription from my vet

Thanks for sharing your story.
That is horrible!
I hope you report her to the authorities

Hope your babies are soon feeling better

How old are they?
Yes, many people use doxycycline. I have never found it useful when given by itself.
Baytril or baytril + doxycycline or baytril + azithromycin are good for myco flareups infections.
Clavamox is good for secondary infections

Azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, orally twice a day) is a pediatric friendly antibiotic. I buy it from a pharmacy by prescription from my vet

Thanks for sharing your story.
That is horrible!
I hope you report her to the authorities

Hope your babies are soon feeling better

I'd say the girls are about 8 months and the boys between that and a year old. I have a vet appointment for them tomorrow as the girls sound absolutely horrible and I do not want it to get any worse. Hoping to get a prescription for them and start them on treatment. :pillred:

Damn right I reported her! Not sure how much good it's going to do, but at least I know I tried. I wished I could have helped all those little faces, but I want to be sure I can afford what I take in you know with vet bills and such. To tell you the truth from the looks of some of them they were probably already to far gone for me to help. :wrong:

Thank you so much for wishing my babies good health! :flower:

Last edited:
*UPDATE* Three out of four of my babies have upper respiratory infections, but luckily it's not to bad so I got a prescription for Azithromycin and was given the same directions as above on what doses to give. I hope my angels get better. Got the cutest pic of the boys earlier I would love to share. :)

Edward and Jacob.jpg

Last edited:
I hope they are soon feeling better
Are you giving the zithro with baytril?
It isn't as effective if given alone
Yes I sure am! :) Was so hard to find, but I got it and all ratties are super active right now playing on the bed with me and about 25 cat balls lol we are having a blast!

Welcome to the Rat Shack! Aww, I hope your sweeties heal real fast. They sure are cute in that pic!

Thank you so much they seem to be doing much better, but still not out of the water yet. Giving them lots of snuggle time and making sure they get their medication and eat right. Doing all I can.

Back