HELP! Needing an experienced vet for a lumpectomy - Lower Mainland, BC, Canada

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, I hope it's ok to post this here, I wasn't sure which other section to post in that would be appropriate for the vet issues I am having. Please feel free to let me know if I cannot or instruct me to delete post. I don't post here a lot because I have a nice little rat community group on Facebook that I am apart of but a lot of people that post there are in the USA/UK or different part of Canada. I do often check out different threads here for valuable information though! I know there is list of vets posted by someone on here in the lower mainland, British Columbia, Canada but I haven't had much luck with the few vets I took my rats to on the list. The first one, the vet proceeded to grab all my rats by the scruff and didn't seem to want to touch them at all. He also px'd meds for URI to all of them and didn't even listen to all their chests with the stethoscope during the checkups. Needless to say I stopped seeing him immediately after that. I have been seeing a vet that I found through a recommendation of a rat owner that works at Tisol where I get my rat food for cases like URIs but I don't think he is that experienced with rat surgeries.

I had scheduled a lumpectomy and a spay with one of the vets on the list that was highly recommended as someone knowledgeable with mammary tumour removals and spays that was also really reasonably priced. Unfortunately, on my way to drop off my poor ratty Marshmallow at the clinic on her surgery day my car died and I phoned them to reschedule and they refused to rebook the surgery for me which really saddened me, what kind of clinic does that with someone's pet needing a tumour removal? I did phone around to some of the other vets on the list but they are way out of my price range, as in $300 for a spay and almost $300 for the lumpectomy. Before someone says, well wouldn't you spend anything to make your rat better, well no, because I don't make a good salary, and me and my rats would be worse off if we were all homeless because I couldn't pay rent so no judgments please. I do have a savings for them, and I do have the money for the surgeries, just not $600. To give you an idea, the clinic that did not want want to rebook for me, was going to charge me just under $200 which is my price range, and the vet was experienced with rat spays and tumour removals. I really wish I could still go there, I had the clinic info all ready in my back pocket in case I had to deal with anything like this and this happened so I am very lost and scared about what to do for my ratty.

Anyways if anyone here has a good vet that has experience with rats and rat surgeries and is comfortable doing rat spays and lump removals that would be great.

Last edited:
Back