Ron Hines

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually haven't heard of him until I came by your post and googled him. I read a couple of articles to get the jist of the situation. I may have had a different opninion before I worked in a veterinary clinic but now that I do, I can safely say that Ron Hines is an idiot.

He has a license and is legally obligated to have physically examined his patients before treating them. Treatment doesn't necessarily mean that he administers an injection/medication/therapy himself, he just has to recommend it or prescribe it - "out patient treatment". To give out patient treatment to pets he has never even seen based only on what their owners are able to tell him is seriously dangerous and just irresponsible. I don't think this is what he does all the time, but this must be what he did to get in trouble like that. And you only need to do it once to get suspended or have your license taken away completely! There's advice and then there's medical advice. It's like he's squinting his eyes until the line is blurred enough that he feels ok breaking the law and whining about it when he gets caught.

He's a silly guy.

None. But I do find him interesting and insightful, as he's approaching rat medicine from a research viewpoint. Though his article can certainly add depth and richness to one's understanding of how the the rat works overall, he could do better in some instances. Example, I'm surprised he doesn't suggest homemade diet for rats, as he does for dogs. His take on pine needs more insight. I'm pretty sure even white pine is no good for more than a few days temporary use.

I see I spelled 'controversial' wrong last night!

Last edited:
Back