SDA News 2015?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canarats

I've heard the sad rumors again. Any known outbreaks in Canada?

Any idea why breeders don't test their new rats BEFORE throwing them into their rattery? I mean, come on, how hard is it to ask someone to sit them for a three days while you do a blood-spot test? (Idexx) . I remember doing them back in the tail-vein day, when it cost $400 -- a whole paycheck for me at the time ... x6, for 3 years of positive rats I had to rehome

Known outbreaks throughout USA, in Montreal, possibly Ontario (breeder hasn't tested but rats may have come from her rattery) unfortunately with so much cross-contamination from the Ohio Roundup rats there's no way to pinpoint where which virus/issue came from. At this point, I would say we are looking at;

SDAV
Pneumocystis Cariini
CAR Bacillus
KRV (parvoviruses)
etc

Any outbreaks in the Maritime provinces?
Occasionally outbreaks of SDA are reported in Saint John NB which originated from one or more pets stores

Horrible pet store here gets rats from a mill in Quebec, according to a pet store employee I spoke with

As for breeders .... there are no good ethical breeders in Ontario, Quebec, or the Maritimes;
most are likely unaware of the diseases or figure it is just the cost of doing business

Do any of the shelters take precautions? If so, how?
The ones down here take no precautions and do nothing to prevent the introduction of airborne disease to rats already under their care

Last edited:
Please don't tell me CARB. My friend threw a car+ rat in with my carb-free oldies (all 2.5-3.5) and killed them all including Bijou's (Jorats) parents. We never had that in Ontario, not even the petstores, rescues or Californian imports (and I have tested rats from all those sources). All we had was the occasional Sendai and SDA, no parvo, no krv, nothing.

Sad the state of things now. Is there a list of ratteries that attended this Ohio thing?
Of course I'd like to know the Canadian ratteries, but also the US breeders if anyone knows as well.

Back