Some people! Grrr

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So someone went out of their way to email me and tell me that our rats aren't worth the adoption fee we charge since the feeders at the pet store are cheaper! So as much as I wanted to be mean I just went through the costs of our rats.. Adoption fee for one rat $20.. Cage cost as we only want the best so SCN is about $130, food we feed oxbow which is roughly $50 a twenty pound bag, Vet check is $44, meds between $12-$20.. Xrays $65,Neuters $150,Spay $200, tumor removal $195. That's not counting toys,litter,hammocks which run us roughly $50 a month... Love and socialization.. Priceless! Now do and have all our babies needed vet visits or surgeries? No, but just because they are just snake food to him *cringe* to some they are loved pets and worth every penny so yes I think $20 rehoming fee for one is more than worth it to the right person! They aren't meant for people like him! I also informed him that rats are smart and can learn tricks like dogs and are clean and groom just like cats! They are the best of both worlds in a small package but what I really wanted to say was why don't you give me your snake to feed it to my dog you *#*#*#*## *####* :) but I took the high road lol

Let this guy know the pros of a rescue:
- Healthier animals, basically because pet store animals are often sick and sometimes dying
- More socialized, because pet store rats are hardly touched :(
- Saving an animal in need, for the sake of being a good person
- Support in case the adopter had an issue, like needing to re-home

And $20 is rather low to me, anyways. I would gladly pay that for a healthy, social rat that needs a home!

Back