Ratt bells?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onyx

Hi guys,
I like to give my boys free reign in a room (for a few hours) and so far that is going well. I have, however, made it safe for them to roam my living room too. I would like to be able to tell where they are when they are roaming.
Do any of you use anything to hear them roaming around? Like a collar with a bell or something similar?

Thanks

No, other then your supervision, I have no suggestions.

I surround their play area with sheets of chloroplast attached to one another with cable ties or stick on Velcro

When I had an apartment, I lined the walls of my living room with chloroplast, had their cages in the livingroom so they could go in and out under supervision, and kept my couch etc inside the chloroplast. I kept all electronics, wires etc outside of this play area .... this prevented any industrious ratties from creating small doorways in the walls or chewing wires etc ...... since they were contained in a very large safe area where there were no dangerous things for them to get into, I was able to find them although at times it took awhile. ..... and yes I did have a few escape artists but they would eventually return because they enjoyed the areas where they were allowed access

It can be dangerous for curious little ratties to free range because they could get trapped in walls, the heating system, exit your home, eat things that might make them sick or kill them, chew wires etc ..... pretty difficult to completely rat proof your entire place .... although it is important to make it as safe as possible for the little escape artists

not really what you wanted to know but I hope it helps

Last edited:
I would never allow my rats to free range anywhere in my home. It would be to easy to lose them as well as things like electrical cords for them to chew on. Can you make them a corral to keep them in a large space. You might find that easier to keep them safe and adding fun things like boxes and all kinds of other toys.

Cloroplast sheets? What a great idea. Where did you end up getting them and were they pricy ?

Cloroplast sheets connected with stick on Velcro or cable ties (zip ties). Panels need to be at least 3 feet high so no one can jump out.
The great thing is it can be left up or taken apart easily, depending on how you connect the panels.
you can also make it as large or small as you want and if large, then you can get in it

When I had an apartment I lined the walls with panels and my entire living room was their play pen (all electrical appliances etc were outside the chloroplast panels,
and their cage was in the living room so they had access when they were out playing and could go in and out when they wanted to during their play time.

If you have the money, the martins large play pen, powder coated is amazing - the only bad thing is you cant fit into it with them

PLEASE see this link ..... it contains info plus several pictures of both my martins play pen and my play area ..... unfortunately changes to this site have made it so I can no longer easily transfer the pictures to this thread :( so posting a link ... Enjoy :)

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32723&highlight=playpen

You can buy chloroplast sheets at hardware stores, places that make signs and art supply stores.
I bought sheets that were 8 feet by 4 feet,
Expense likely depends on where you live and phone around as prices may vary greatly

Well I followed your advice. I got sheets of chloroplast and made a little play area for them. I put them there while I cleaned their cage and they loved it. Very easy to take apart and store away.
Thanks guys.
PS: I don't know how to rotate the images once uploaded some they are sideways. :-\

image3.JPG

Last edited:
Nope, always watch them. Clark did escape once while we were at work - apparently cage was left open - and he had full range of the house for 8-10 hours. Sure wish he would of had a rat cam on - would of loved to have seen how he spend his day..... He answers to his name though so he came running when called - after he ran across the room and scared the h*** out of me...

Back