Today I helped 2 boys stay in their home!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So as a rescuer too often do I end up with unwanted babies or rats who's owners just have come into unforseen circumstances and have to give them up. So when I first spoke to the owner she just seemed overwhelmed so I asked her exactly why she couldn't keep them and it turns out she is just in a rut right now financially and had put herself into guilt trip mode since her boys are currently in a tank which we know is not good but we are getting her a cage and I took her 5lbs of oxbow and some hammocks and checked out the boys to see their overall health and of course their set up.. They are in good health..one seems a bit sneezy but could have been because I'm full of strange smells but we are going to watch him and the other Has a swollen hand that we weren't really able to determine how it happened so I told her to watch that as well. She kept thanking me and calling me an angel but I told her really she is the one to thank. She seems like a great rat momma just new and needs some help finding her feet right now and as much as I love rats and rescue I would much rather see these guys stay in good homes when they can even if that means helping out the owners :) . So just wanted to share this story for these two amazing boys Stuart and murr and their great momma for taking help and not giving up in them!

This is just so heartening to read. Made me grin big-time! Seriously well done. You really are a lovely person. I sleep better at night knowing there are people out there like you, prioritising the needs of the animals that need it so much.

A beautiful story! Thanks for being you and helping these guys.

Stuart and Murr :heart:

I still have to take them their cage which I am hoping to do tonight :) It doesn't have shelves because it had wooden shelves and ramps that were gross from the last person I loaned it to..I even tried soaking them in hot water and vinegar to get the pee smell out but within 5 minutes of drying they started to smell again so had to toss them :( They are young roughly 6 months old so shouldn't have any issues climbing from basket to hammocks until she can afford something better for them :) I even put a rope in there for them but couldn't find any chews so I have some wood blocks that I'll toss in the basket for them.

12227705_10206222017802929_5917143663112680547_n.jpg

Just so you know, you can make a shelf by getting a very sturdy baking cooling rack and cable tying it onto the cage, and then covering it with a dollar store dish drain tray, cut to fit and cable tied on.

btw, great job! and nice cage setup :)

Sadly tonight the boys came to stay with us here :( They came with two other boys that she bought a month or so ago.. Stuart still has chunks of hair missing though he may have healed after we took him to the vet and then got reinfected.. I honestly don't know I figured she had it covered when I returned him with his meds. Murr has some scratches but he is a naked so not out of the ordinary. The two younger boys are lincoln and georgie.. Both seem in good health and are about 3 months old. Their cages were disgusting and saturated in urine and feces! I immediately moved them to clean cages when we arrived back and started stripping and scrubbing their old cages.. My hands where sticky from urine when I was done and the water I used to soak their toys,bowls and such was a yellowish brown when I drained the bucket... She admitted when I asked that she had infact not cleaned their cages in awhile.. So monday I am making an appointment for stuart to get him more meds so he doesnt look like zombie rat and hopefully we can find them all homes when the time comes :)

20160423_001256.jpg

20160423_001243.jpg

20160422_233744.jpg

Why, just tell me why she went and got two more when she needed assistance with the two she had?! I have an overwhelming urge to slap her upside the head! Sorry you had to take them in, but at least their in a clean environment now.

I get really frustrated with selfish people like that and Im afraid I dont have much patience or understanding - the animals come first!

Im so glad you got them out of there! Lets hope she doesnt get any more

I have not a clue why she got more... I told her multiple times not to get more when she wanted to adopt two baby boys from us but sadly the pet stores don't ask questions so wasn't hard for her to go buy two more... Sadly not the first time something like this has happened if you remember the lady that was interested in 3 of our girls had them picked out and all then emailed me a week or so later tell me her and her girls fell in love with 3 babies from the pet store and then 10 days later said they weren't working out and ask if we will take them... I really hope she doesn't... She is supposed to be moving to Florida tomorrow or I guess today... Murray does have a uri he sounded like a percolator yesterday morning so started him on doxy. Gotta call and make an appt for one of the new babies Monday and gonna have Stuart's meds refilled. Gonna be a long week!

Back