Four New Rescued Rats, All Three Females May Be Pregnant...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvia

Hello, all~

I've been taking in rats in need for a little over a year now and finding homes for them but I've found myself in a predicament that I had not anticipated. I recently took in four young rats from an acquaintance, who no longer wanted to take care of them. He heard that I had rats and asked if I might be willing to take in his. The group consists of three girls and one boy. I was initially under the impression that they were housed separately, but upon arrival I found out something quite different. He had placed the four of them together in a small aquarium. When I asked him about this, he said he had sold the female's cage already since he knew he was getting rid of them. He also stated that he thought because they were siblings from the same litter that they would not mate... (sigh)

When I got them home, I promptly separated the male and am preparing him to be introduced into my established colony of males. He looks less than a year old, so hopefully things will go well on that front. The three females have been placed in the top level of one of my Critter Nations. They apparently had been in the aquarium with the male for quite some time, probably at least a week from my guess, assuming that he sold the cage right after he learned I would be taking them. So my biggest worry right now is that all three of them may be pregnant... That could mean upwards of 25 babies at one time.

I have no previous experience with pregnant mothers or raising litters but have been doing extensive research to prepare myself in the event that I will be raising three litters simultaneously. But I am quite sure that I will need all the advice I can get. I plan on rehoming the babies, as well as the mothers once all the babies have been adopted out. I may end keep the male if he fits in well with my boys.

The females seem friendly enough but will still require more socialization. They also look quite small which is another concern, as they may be too young to have been bred. I need to get a working scale so I can keep track of their weights. The male is very timid and skittish, and nippy with food. He will need a lot of work to get him out of his shell.

Will add pictures of the lot later~

Last edited:
Why spayed? Wouldn't that be unnecessary surgery? I've lost animals to spays/neuters before so its something I am always very nervous about... That being said, I do have a rat vet who is willing.

Some people chose to spay rescued girls that may be pregnant if they are not very far along (normal gestation is 21 to 21.5 days)
as this will abort the babies

You would need a vet that has the expertise to successfully spay a rat
While rats can die because they have an undiagnosed health condition like a heart issue,
usually it is because the vet does not know how to operate on rats as it is very different from cats and dogs
See http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

Okay, but would the spay/abortion be mainly for the health of the mothers OR would it be because that many babies will be a lot of work/care/cost? Because if it is the latter, I am more than willing to supply the time and effort to put into raising the litters. That is not a concern. Finding homes may prove to be a bit of a challenge but I have had success in the past with rehoming rescues to responsible owners.

The vet I currently use for my rats is experienced in the general care and treatment of diseases/infections in rats but I do not believe she has much experience in spaying rats. I discussed neuters with her in the past and she has preformed only small number of them before. She is one of the very few vets in my area that treats rats and the only one that I am comfortable with. I trust in her ability to treat and diagnose them, but I'm not sure I trust her to preform a proper spay.

Spay/abortion is something that holds a lot of concerns for me (both ethically and for the health of the mothers), but I'm more than willing to hear other's opinions on the matter.

(Also, thank you for the link, SQ. That's very helpful information, in the event I do choose that option.)

Here are some pictures of the girls. One is an albino/REW, the middle sized one. The largest is a hooded rex? She has poor curl for a rex. The third is a self, perhaps mink, and is the smallest.

tXxoCr2.jpg

OuSvlDg.jpg

2Hm8qfK.jpg

2F2c8DR.jpg

ZFcqxEV.jpg

Also noticed the male has mites and a few bald/thin patches. Haven't got to check the females thoroughly yet (they're so darn quick!) But I imagine they have them too, though their fur is in good condition. Is it safe to treat pregnant does with Revolution? Are there any alternatives to Revolution?

(Also, thank you for the link, SQ. That's very helpful information, in the event I do choose that option.)

You are welcome ... it is important information for any type of surgery so unfortunately you will need it sooner or later.

At this point you would be spaying to prevent a massive number of babies from being born. Rats can have 2 to 26 babies in a litter with the average litter size being 12 to 14 babies.
If the girls are very young, it is possible that they may have a low number of babies each. Last year Godmother bought 3 young girls from a local breeder, all 3 were pregnant, but she was very lucky and between the 3 of them there were only 18 babies - but that is unusual.

As with all pregnancies, there is the possibility of something going wrong, the possibility of an emergency C-section, of increased vet bills, a large cage with small bar spacing for each mom and litter .... and increased costs from so many hungry growing little ones.
But the main reason is that it is very difficult to find good homes .... so you would need to be prepared to keep all of them.

Thus many people involved in rescue chose to spay rescued girls that may be pregnant if they are not too far along. I choose not to spay pregnant girls but I usually end up keeping all the babies .... which, as has been pointed out to me, makes me unable to rescue more rats.

Spaying girls, if you have access to a good rat vet, is important because of the health benefits - such as the chance of mammary tumours drops from over 85% down to 3%-4%

Last edited:
Back