Neuter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tayjen

I need some help. Someone on my Facebook made a post about a rat she has. He is very friendly with people but fights other rats and "almost killed one". The person said the rat needs to go or she will let him go. And that he can go as food. He is living in a bath tub with no food because " he doesn't deserve food". He was at the vet. Vet says he needs a neuter, poster won't pay for it.

I want to take him but I don't know. Does a neuter fix cagemate aggression? How much is a neuter in Ontario? (Offices are closed or I'd call). I don't have a lot of money but don't want him killed or let loose.

Yes, neuters work wonders on hormonal rats. You need to go get him NOW! I'm sure you will beable to rehome him if you cannot afford the neuter. Neuter prices vary between vets. Since I live in the US I cannot tell you what Canada prices are

Quite frankly I'm disturbed and really upset to hear that this poor hormonal boy is being kept without food and probably water too. He needs a neuter, it's not his fault that his hormones are causing him problems.

Please go get this poor boy if you can. Then report her incase she has other animals in her care that she's neglecting

Please take this poor animal, I urge you to help this rat if you can. Some vets accept payment plans do you can break up the payments in small amounts.

If this isn't possible, are there shelters or animal rescues that will take him? I don't know how things are run on other countries but here in the UK, I wouldn't hesitate to report this woman to the RSPCA for abuse and neglect and they would be round there to check things out and take the animal out of that situation if needed. This rat needs help asap and it sounds as if there isn't a moment to lose!

Good luck!

I agree with everyone else..you need to get him out of there so we know he is atleast safe and being taken care of and then figure out getting him neutered from there which is least of my worries right now as she is starving him right now and as others said she is probably withholding water as well and he is dehydrating and could die a horrible death that no living thing deserves to suffer though..If you can report her then do that as well but please get this little boy to safety.

I'm going to get him. Hopefully my vet will do a payment plan, depending on how much it costs. I'll need help introducing him after neuter. If he's dehydrated what do I do? Can he have food right away? Do I need to limit the food, we had a dog that was starved and we could only feed small amounts.

I'm not sure, I would say just give him whatever he will eat or drink. I'm so pleased to hear you're going to get him. Time is of the essence here and there isn't a moment to lose. If it was me, I'd be on my way right now. I'll be thinking of this little fuzz ball and sending you well wishes. Please let us know when you get him home and safe and keep us updated. I think you're doing a wonderful thing for an animal in desperate need!

Please get him out of there NOW !!

A neuter will work wonders but it make take awhile before his hormones drop enough that you can start gradual intros
I don't know where you are (it would be helpful if you put country and prov in your profile)
but please get him before something horrible happens to him

Last edited:
I'm 6 hours ahead of you guys here in the UK. I'm unable to sleep. I'm desperately worried about this rat. Brought a tear to my eye to imagine him in a bath tub with no food, company or water.

As I said, please keep us updated on any details. I really can't stop thinking about him!

Please report that person for animal cruelty. Denying a creature food and/or water is criminal.

Depending on where you are in Ontario, a neuter can be around $150-$200+ (I can only quote for our vet in Waterloo). Some include the preliminary appointment in that charge if the rat is a new patient. Some vets let you get Medicard's Petcard, sort of like a credit card for use only a the vet. It's what we use for neuterings and other major procedures so we can pay them off a bit at a time.

If you're at all nearby or have transportation, Lincoln Village Animal Hospital in Waterloo is where we take our fuzzies. Dr. Buhrows is fantastic with rats. If there's something she's unsure about for whatever reason, she consults with the OVC in Guelph and with other vets who handle exotics. Phone number is (519)746-7557, and they have applications for (and accept) PetCard.

You are wonderful for saving that wee fellow from such circumstances.

Hi there,

Is there an update on this little guy's situation? Did you go to get him or has he been from removed from that lady's care yet?

Aww, well done for going to get him. I'll rest easy tonight knowing he's with a good person that will take care of him. Could we see him, do you have any pictures? I'd really love to see him.

Feed this boy up with some plain oatmeal and non-dairy if you can, he will love it. Seeds and nuts, and plenty of veggies will nourish him. I've never met a rat that didn't love peas, water melon or grapes - these will help to hydrate him. And he deserves to be spoiled rotten after what he's been through.

What will you call him?

Its also possible he doesn't need a neuter. If she just tossed him in a cage without doing proper intros they will attack each other. How is he doing?

Back