Best bedding to contain odours?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tayjen

-4 girls, 1 boy living in a DCN; 3 years old
-The cage gets really smelly but the rats smell as well.
-They don't use the litter boxes as much as they use to.
-I am buying new metal pans and want to use bedding.
-What bedding will control the odour the best?
-Fleece is NOT an option, they destroy it immediately.
-I know cleaning too much will make them mark.
-I wash hammocks 2x week.

Right now they are in the laundry room because it's the only place the cage will fit. Guests are never in there so the smell isn't an issue. But we are moving soon and I want the cage to be in the living room or dining/eat-in space so I can interact with them a lot more. But I can't if they are going to smell up the room.

So what's the best odour controlling bedding? And other ways to control the odour? I have a hepa filter, though I haven't been using it lately.

I have noticed a few litters that do a wonderful job at controlling odors.

First off, is the paper pellets like you would find at Petco or Petsmart in the small animal section. They usually contain baking soda or zeolite, both do the job quite well. Some people avoid baking soda or odor-controlling litter BUT I have not found any issues with it. The only baking soda litter I know causes issues is the one made by carefresh. Just be sure to AVOID SCENTS at all costs! Sometimes litter bags can be hard to read, so check all over the bag.

You can also buy cheap rabbit food pellets. Rats will taste them at first but will not eat them fully! The alfalfa and hay scent is wonderful (and safe) for masking odors.

Usually I switch between the two, and sometimes combine them! You also don't need to fill the pan with the litter. Just an inch or even half an inch of litter will help with odors. Your rats might push the litter to one side, but pellets still help with odors I find.

I hope this helps! Btw, I would wait for other more experienced rat owners to comment too. I am not entirely sure still on the safety of baking soda or zeolite... I just haven't had personal issues.

Thanks for the reply. Previously I've used harlan teklan shredded aspen and that seemed to work well. But it was only in the litter boxes, which they use to use. I used Yesterday's News but had no luck with that.

I am throwing out all their toys and houses and will be buying new ones. They've had the same ones for 3 years. So hopefully getting all new accessories and pans will help.

Oh I totally forgot about aspen! I have never used it, but if it works for you, why not try it again? I hear it's pretty cheap.

If the toys/houses are wooden, by all means toss them! But if they are just plastic, I suggest scrubbing them with unscented dish soap and rinsing heavily. I've always been able to get odor out of a plastic rat house, but wooden... that's just too much work to clean (it involves dipping the wood in boiling water, then baking on low heat for hours).

Does the cage itself have any urine/waste on it? Sometimes I have to take my cage into the tub and spray it down. A hose outside works too, in warmer weather.

I use aspen and it fly's everywhere. They kick it out the cage, it sticks to my sox and it ends up all over the house. I'm switching back to fleece. I bought U haul padding. I hope it works.

Back