17 day old triumph causing a sore on the end of her amputated leg

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So if just to refresh for those who don't know :) When triumph was just 2 days old her momma (athena) amputated her back left leg and it had healed nicely however now that she is older and mobile she is wearing the end of it raw and causing a sore..What do I do to heal and prevent this in the future? Will this require me having the rest of the leg removed when she is older?I got the best pictures I could as she is so squirmy!

I would definitely have that rat seen by a vet. Usually stumps aren't a problem but this one looks infected and might need antibiotics.

Ok I will call and try and set up an appointment for tomorrow and thursday and hope they can get her in quick though I'll have to take momma and brother as well or would she be ok for that long with mom? It's a 20 minute drive there and back so she would be away roughly an hour and a half.

Ok her appointment is thursday at 9:40 :) anything I can do until then? I've been trying my best to keep only paper bedding and fleece for them but mom wants babies on the hard plastic bottom! no matter how much I put in there she always pushed it to the sides and puts the fleece over them and makes babies walk on the plastic which is fine except for poor triumph and her stump :( I'll let you know how it goes..

I was wrong on her age...I've been so busy I forgot to change the days on my chart :( she will be 3 weeks old tomorrow..

If it doesn't stay healthy and form a callus, then removing the rest of the leg seems like the only other option, and that's a pretty high risk surgery. :(
She needs to learn to walk on three feet! Maybe if you can nurse her through this period, then as she gets older and stronger she will stop using that stump.
I'll be curious to see what your vet says.

So it is infected and starting to abscess but luckily we caught it before it spread any further so she gets a tiny drop of tmz something or other twice a day for 10 days and vet said she should be fine with it as she ages but we will watch it and make sure it doesn't cause any further issues and if it does then we will discuss other treatment options..Think she is in love haha and was talking about how her daughter would love her and gave her some snuggles and a smooch :)

So baby wants nothing to do with the meds which isn't surprising..is it safe to try and force them in her?and how do I go about doing it with her little mouth since the syringe end is about the same size...

Oh dear, babies are so hard to medicate...nothing you hide it in works?

If the stump doesn't toughen up in time then she may need the whole leg removed. I had to do this with Inca as she insisted on using her stump to climb etc, and it got sore and infected as well. She had a little bit below her hock though, so hopefully your wee's skin will toughen up a bit and you won't have to do surgery.

I suppose at three weeks she wouldn't be eating much food anyway. You may have to do one drop at a time. What volume do you have to give her?

Yea she isn't interested in much food but momma right now and just ignored every food I offered so I hope old guys are hungry the next couple of days cause I have lots of baby food to use up now haha and I did just end up forcing it but its a very small amount 0.02 so it was maybe two drops and it was gone and it is definitely concerning me as I think mom has been chewing on it and looked like it had been bleeding and had a pointy scab on it earlier today which got knocked off when she was climbing the cage bars..should I try rinsing it or just do the oral antibiotics?

OK and I clean cage every 3-4 days but I can clean theirs every other day just in case since its just a tiny cage it takes me 5 minutes tops to change out everything and wipe it down were the big cages take 30 minutes to an hour to clean haha since I usually get distracted or become a jungle gym :) when can I do a bigger cage for them? They are already little monkeys! My husband discovered she will lick the antibiotics off his finger and I just laughed and said we have another daddy's girl on our hands :)

Back