Weird question - how to train away bad habits

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Momo's always had this problem where when I try to give her a kiss she tries to pry open my mouth with her claws because I guess she thinks the inside of my mouth smells good since I've tried it after I've eaten in the past. It's weird, I know.. although it's nice that she trusts me enough to even try to do this without being worried I'd bite her head off - it's also incredibly annoying and sometimes painful, because I can hardly get up close to her now without her trying, and she's so ruthless and quick when doing it that I don't have time to stop her. I have to pick her up and move her away and then she comes back. And now Piper's picking up that habit too - so how do I train them to not do this? I just want to kiss their noses. ><

Last edited:
They are rodentists .... rats who like to open your mouth, check for food and clean your teeth
There are some special little ratties who like to do this :)

Enjoy them or
If you do not like it, don't try to kiss them on the nose
and keep your face away from their grasp (ie you need to change your behaviour)

They are fine and normal just the way they are

Last edited:
They are rodentists .... rats who like to open your mouth, check for food and clean your teeth
There are some special little ratties who like to do this :)

Enjoy them or
If you do not like it, don't try to kiss them on the nose
and keep your face away from their grasp (ie you need to change your behaviour)

They are fine and normal just the way they are

Oh it's okay, I'll love them no matter what they do - I was just curious if it was a bad behavior that could be remedied. If it's totally normal and something that'll be with them forever then I'm totally content.

You could try squeaking every time she does it and put her down away from you, but it may be a while before she gets the hint - meanwhile your lips will be poked full of holes.
To kiss her nose, get her standing on her hind feet and hold her little paws with your fingers. LOL

My Tachee does this also and I have to remember to never let her near my mouth. Sometimes I forget and end up scratched up, not fun.

Dawson does this to me too, it hurts. I have to remember to keep my mouth away from him because he tries to pull my lips apart and curiously bites at my lips. It's like I've been slashed with a razor or something.

He's just curious, no aggression to it or anything.

I'd love to get kisses off Dawson but I don't think it's gonna happen sadly lol

Back