Momo's still going strong. Possible that the cancer won't metastasize?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

I know it's only been a couple months since her tumor came back and it's since branched off and more have appeared, so I don't want to get my hopes up or anything but how long can rats usually live with malignant mammary cancer? Because Momo's showing absolutely no signs of deterioration at all. She's eating and drinking like normal and has tons of energy, and it's been 2 months. Not that I'm complaining, in fact I'm extremely happy I've gotten this much time with Momo but I would have thought such an aggressive cancer would have taken it's toll by now. Is this a normal occurrence?

[Also for anyone that doesn't know - I did have Momo's tumor removed earlier this year, but on account of the type of tumor it was and how fast and aggressively it returned, I made the decision not to put her through any more surgeries. So I don't want anyone to think I'm a bad rat dad and didn't try to help her]

Last edited:
I'd say that as long as she seems happy, isn't in terrible pain, and seem to have at least a reasonable quality of life, that she should keep on going. It's only when you feel that your rattie isn't enjoying their life any more - where more of it is miserable than happy - that you consider helping them cross over. She may go on for quite a while longer - the tumors may not all be malignant - some may just be mammary tumors and they can go with those for months.

I think each case is different. I've had rats live many many months with their malignancy but others who didn't. So keep her eating healthy, cut out sugar and fat and give her a wonderful life.

I'd say that as long as she seems happy, isn't in terrible pain, and seem to have at least a reasonable quality of life, that she should keep on going. It's only when you feel that your rattie isn't enjoying their life any more - where more of it is miserable than happy - that you consider helping them cross over. She may go on for quite a while longer - the tumors may not all be malignant - some may just be mammary tumors and they can go with those for months.

No no don't misunderstand I'm not considering euthanasia. lol She's perfectly healthy and happy and I know the symptoms to know when it's time.

I'll just count each day she's healthy as they come and enjoy life with her as always. She's almost 2 so she's already lived a full life as is, which makes me so happy.

Back