Something ate my euthanized rat deceased for two weeks; what animal would do this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

My beloved hairless rat was pts two weeks ago, shrouded in pretty fabric, and buried almost a foot deep. Yesterday it was apparent something had disturbed her grave as a small portion of the shroud could be seen and was covered back up.

Last night something went at the grave again and this time removed both my girl and her shroud. The shroud was not in my backyard and is probably in someone else's.

What animal would eat an animal that has been dead for two weeks? What would be left for it to eat? She only weighed 350 grams. Furthermore, does the fact that she was pts post any danger to the animal who ate her?

I am upset that my girl is no longer in her grave and will ensure next time this does not happen.

yes, it could kill the animal

Very sorry that this happened

You might try sealing their bodies in a small rubber made box

I have mine cremated in large groups and get their ashes back ...... that way I know their bodies will never be disturbed. I don't own property so I can scatter their ashes in a special place that I can visit

Last edited:
Any kind of meat eating animal who smelled a carcass would be interested. The animal may have thought there would be more left when they were digging.
I'm sorry, I'm sure this is upsetting. Unfortunately that's just nature. ):
When we bury ours, we go 3 feet down and a few rocks are placed on the "casket".

I'm so sorry. This happened to me too. I live in apartments and have no back yard of my own, but I did bury my boy in a soft pink blanket by the side of the building as deep as I thought I could.

The next day as I was looking out the window, my heart stopped in my chest because I saw his little pink blanket being blown across the grass. An animal had dug him up and I never found his body. I felt completely robbed and it didn't do anything to ease my grief unfortunately. It was a bit traumatising. I feel your pain. I felt incredibly guilty and as though I'd failed him, as I failed him when he was sick before he passed. But of course, I loved him and did the best that I could and he knew that.

I had to remind myself (and take much needed comfort) of the fact that his body was a shell that he no longer needed and he was entirely at peace. That seemed to calm my ravaged heart. It was all I could do to remind myself of that fact.

I also didn't want to go through that again, so resolved to not bury them around here. Too many foxes and cats. If you have your own yard, I would echo what the others say and do the burials a lot deeper.

I know how you feel, I'm really sorry! xx

I'm sorry; I know how upset you must feel. Please know that your baby, in spirit, is no longer concerned about her body - she won't be upset by Nature. The scent of natural stages of decay likely attracted an animal like raccoon, fisher, or any other carnivore such as fox, etc. When we bury ours in our yard, we dig down at least 18 to 24 inches, and then lay heavy rocks over top the entire dug area so that it can't be disturbed. What some people do is bury their pets' body in a large potted plant - that way they can keep the plant in the house and allow nature to take its course. You did a beautiful thing for your little one and she is aware of this.

Back