Might need a rescue for my rescues...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So last Friday we had to have Nina pts due to her cancer spreading much faster than we thought and within minutes after burying her I got a call that my uncle had just passed away so had to pack up and head to where he lived which is 3hrs away. I had to leave the fuzzies under the care of my 12 yr old because my inlaws are scared of them. Long story short the visit was stressful and lots of bickering and my uncles almost wasn't buried because noone wanted to pay for his funeral or plot.. But it got done and we are back home now were I discovered one of the baby girls is missing the tip of her finger which is quite red and swollen and another girl has what I believe is a mammary tumor growing under her front arm. We need more food and bedding and we are just maxed out financially so gonna see what I can squeeze out of us for food and bedding but the medical stuff sadly there is no way to miracle that. I can't even grieve right now because there is no time and its just adding stress to the stress of having all these babies that I feel I can't provide for right now. I quite honestly just want to scream right now I am so frustrated! I've been trying so hard to adopt them out but there are just no homes around our area :( I just don't know anymore and I'm sure this feeling will pass but I just feel stuck right now and feel like I'm letting then down and its not fair to them.. I've failed them!

Just saw that mallow, Onyx's sister also has a swollen finger but her nail is still there.. I'm just finding stuff as I am letting groups out :( lexi also has a uri so so far I need antibiotics for dean,Alex,lexi,onyx and mallow.. Kinda scared to let the others out..still have 2 more groups to get out..

It sounds like the babies have had their toes bitten by someone on the other side of the bars. Make sure no one can reach the outside of the cage that the babies are in. Bitten toes will heal fine as long as the cages are clean.
And yes, rescuing is very financially taxing as well as emotionally taxing. You should read Hopefloats' thread she posted on her finances and see how much she spends every month.
I know you want to help as many as you can, but you shouldn't take in more than you can afford, because then you can't help anybody.
The last two batches of young rats I took in were both neutered and spayed in order to help find homes for them. This makes them more attractive to people with groups. But it also costs money and I did not try and recoup the money spent. I was just happy they found homes at all.
Keep trying to find homes for them and make sure they have exposure so people know they are there. That means Facebook, the Shack, Kijiji. As long as you are screening adopters, it doesn't matter where you advertise. Post cute pictures of them, etc. I haven't seen a thread for them here - people on the Shack or lurkers don't know you are trying to find them homes. Get the word out!

I am so sorry for your loss.
it sucks when life throws us these curve balls

are you trying to rehome all the rats or just the rescues?

Face book has a lot of groups where you can post, try this one:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HugzRatsRescueUSA/

and then do a search for ones in your area- put the name of your county or city or general area, even just the state, and rat rescue into the search bar on FB, try different combinations of terms and you will probably come up wiht at least a couple

also try pet rehoming groups
I think there's a rat transport group too to help ppl get rescues from one place to another
there's a lot of resources out there, but you need to search around for them.

again I"m very sorry for your loss. It totally sucks when no one wants to step up and pay for final expenses. My sister and I ended up finally get my uncle's name engraved on the headstone where he's buried, no one else had the money or inclination to do so. It's sad.

I've had a post up on the rat transportation page since April which is how I adopted out our naked girl. I've tried craigslist and other classifieds..haven't this month but been busy. Our humane society has 5 ratties that they have also been looking for homes for a few weeks now.

We are keeping our 8 if it came down to that and there is an oldie that I wouldn't want to uproot.Out of the 14 rescues only 9 are adoptable...2 have chronic respiratory issues..2 are hormonal and need neuters and 1 is over 2yrs old and his back legs are giving out on him. 1 girl is a maybe but she is prone to abscesses so whoever takes her would have to be willing to medicate to keep them at bay or fight the good fight when they pop up because they are stubborn and have yet to have one that I could treat at home..always requires a vet visit to be drained and a couple of rounds of antibiotics and that was the easy one.

Lexi has another tumor on her opposite arm now.. I made her appointment Thursday morning and I am currently trying to sell our stove to be able afford the surgery assuming its not aggressive cancer like Nina had. Hopefully I can get enough money for the stove to cover everything and if not then I sell the fridge as well.. We don't have much in terms of stuff..the fireplace we need to keep us warm this winter and the couch of were me and the husband sleep and the TV is 7yrs old and doesn't always come on so probably couldn't sell that for the cost of the visit itself..

I honestly considered the humane society but then I realized they won't get free range or treats or love and they keep them in tanks so that's my only option because I am the only rescue in a 150ish mile radius..closest ones are Cincinnati, OH and Pennsylvania . Even the local breeder closed up shop. Luckily we got a guardian angel who has helped us with meds and bedding costs and pay check comes Friday so I can get food then but still leaves me with 2 neuters and a tumor removal which comes to $492 bucks but hopefully if noone else dies and no more babies get sick then I can attempt to start saving up for those. Just a bad,stressful time but we will keep moving forward as best we can.

Back