A new cage mate or not?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat-Violi

Hi,
My not so little anymore Gastonne is now living by herself since Panya is gone 2 months ago. Gastonne will turn 2 years old this Autumn. My question is, is she too old to welcome a probably younger new comer in her habitat? I know rats should live with some of their kind but right now,she does not seem so sad and lonely. Also, she is carrying mycoplasma then I'm sure she will pass it to the new comer :(

I'm so sorry for your loss and Gastonne's loss too.
Are you planning on having more rats? If so, I would definitely get two new young girls for Gastonne. Also, all rats have mycoplasmosis and it's just a matter of when for flare ups. Any stress can cause flare ups and if Gastonne is going through a flare up, she should be put on meds and will soon be back to normal and ready for buddies.

I agree with Jorats - if you are planning on keeping rats, then definitely get a couple of little ones to keep Gastonne company. One of my girls lived to almost four - half her life alone would have been very sad. And yes, all pet rats have been exposed to Mycoplasmosis. Some will never have a problem in their whole life while others are plagued with issues. She will not make them sick.

I am sorry for your loss. I am sure that both you and Gastonne must miss Panya.
As others have said, al rats have myco and experience myco flareups which require antibiotics (from the vet) to treat the symptoms

Rats really do need to live with other rats.
If you are planning on continuing to have rats, you could adopt a couple of baby girls or if you have a good rat vet and get them neutered - a couple of baby boys.

There are established gradual intro steps for introing new rats http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

Last edited:
Yes, it took about 15 minutes of intro. :)
Few stares and they are now sleeping next to each other.
Actually, the pic I posted earlier was during the intro. I have been lucky so far, all my rats are very kind to each other.

Last edited:
Gave her a chance to go out of the cage. First thing she does is going back inside this very small travel cage.

Last edited:
Back