So stinkin frustrated! Intros Flux and Girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

So Flux's sons introd into the big boys cage with absolutely no problems. Nada. Easy peasy.

Why can't Flux be easy? Ugh.

So I went to do an intro? There was puffing on his end, some boxing, sidestepping and overall unhappiness from Flux. If anything he almost seems worse than before his neuter! The only one he seemed to sorta get along with is the unname Siamese rex girl.
He didn't even like Lyza at all anymore. They scuffled and he pulled out a small chunk of her hair!

Advice please? They met in the bathroom, there was food in the middle and it didn't smell like anything because it was my bathtub.

Should I maybe try to do one on one intros instead of a group one?

Here he is with his yet unnamed daughter. She stuck her nose under the faucet and got herself wet.
57252322cf400c79f505ae029b15b9de.jpg

Second intro, lots of side stepping and puffing on his end and 3ven Lyza's but no tussles or boxing this time. They came up like they were going to but that's about it.

Little Heart keeps jumping OUT of the bathtub! so FRUSTRATING!

Should I try an intro somewhere else instead like a table or the bed?

AS Jorats said, some do intros on table tops

I tried that once and my frightened rats jumped off the table and ran
So I stick to the bath tub - much easier to catch them (and I am always afraid someone would get hurt jumping off the table)

but it works for some

I may try the bed, working 7 days straight this week has left me barely able to feed water and play with everybody I am so exhausted which is stupid.

I will keep at the tub one more time and then go to the bed because I am terrified of Flux trying to get off the table o_O

On the upside he doesn't seem to have any aggression with the cat or dog anymore since his fix. He even tried to groom the cat.

I find the bathroom floor is a good place for neutral intros too. I block off the toilet and other areas with cardboard box "walls". Good luck!

Thank goodness I have the next 4 days off(after working 8 in a row counting today), I can get back to work on intros.

I am wondering if part of his extra crankiness is that he has been scratching himself raw in some spots from what seems to be mites. Considering there are 9 in our mischief, I was thinking it might be easier to get a hold of ivermectin compared to kitten revo and see if that helps.

Okay so on a hunch I put Fred and Flux together. Fred is one of his sons and is very very well behaved and sweet.
Flux was of course the angry ball of floof, pretty sure he never stops being that haha.
Well for the first 10 minutes that was it! They walked under and over each other and besides Flux's poofing, there wasn't any big aggression plays.

They did eventually happen when Flux tried to mount and flip over Fred which led to some side stepping and even hissing for a minute. Separated them when I was afraid of it escalating and they are still on the bed together, every once in awhile going near each other but not quite boxing.
I think this is the least aggressive I have seen Flux be. If he won't intro to his girls, I will see if I can intro Fred to him.
I'm hoping for the best

Aww what a cute fluff monster.
He reminds me of Rocky, he was always puffed up during intros.

Just keep at it! It sounds like it's going okay, maybe bring some food into the mix with them so they have something to focus on. :)

I always play music or a tv show in the background too, I swear it calms them (& me, that's probably the bigger part).

They still aren't together in a cage yet, but they get some nice supervised playtime. No playing involved, but a lot of wandering after each other and they even had kinda snuggles.

Flux actually groomed him. I don't think I have seen Flux groom anyone ever!
2d26b6c18234f4fa5d2e97d4e787680d.jpg

8f0eafe73f8a5593c80c43a8b973148f.jpg

My 2 favorite boys <3 size comparison, Fred is 2.5 months and Flux is around 2 years. So big!
c4d17d80cf689036929969db2d844f30.jpg

Back