Rapid breathing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie_eve

Hey all

Wondered if you guys may be able to offer any advise.
I brought a young rat a few weeks ago, who at first had the sneezes.. Alot. After the 1st few days I took him to the vets and he was put on baytril through drinking water. But during this time this changed to breathing rapidly and looked like he has hiccups. No more sneezing though..
My vet put this down to being nervous as at the vets he only seemed to do this when being held of course.
This continued and seemed to be constant so back I go. He gets put on baytril again but no luck. 2 weeks on and he's still rapidly breathing and to add to this he's now breathing with a click and has the red stuff (can't spell it) coming from his nose and slightly on eyes. Lungs sound clear.
I should note that he's lost weight during this time to the point I can feel ribs, although he will eat and drink as much as the others, but slowly.
Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas how I can help him?

It sounds like he has a severe respiratory infection that has not been treated properly. I'm sorry, but your vet has no idea how to properly treat rats.
Baytril was the correct medication to start with, but it should never be added to the drinking water because 1. They may stop drinking the water because it is 'contaminated' and 2. You cannot control the amount of drug they are consuming. That is old-time thinking on how to dose herd animals.
So, he should get a very specific amount of medication either in a syringe directly into his mouth, or mixed into a small treat like some baby cereal.
Since he has been on and off this medication for too short a duration, the bacteria are now becoming resistant. This means he needs a combination of antibiotics, usually Baytril + either Doxycycline or Azithromycin. He also needs to be on medication for at least three weeks after all signs of respiratory problems are gone, to ensure the bacteria are eradicated.
I am worried he may not have a regular respiratory problem, but pneumonia. If he does, then Clavamox may help him and is safe for young rats.
When a rat clicks when breathing, it is very serious and he is in danger. Losing weight is another indication of how serious this is. He needs to be treated ASAP. Please try and find a different vet who is more educated in treating rats.

Hi, thanks for your message. Nice to get some clear advise.
My thoughts have become just that with regards to my vet, although they have done well with my past two rats and their care. I had taken him to a bigger vets who again just told me to continue with baytril and just supplied me with a bigger bottle.. After the first week he was able to take it direct but I couldn't get him to take it first of all being a small riggle bottomed thing.
I will find the right vet eventually, just not having luck so far and there's no-one in my area to point me in the right direct. Poor thing is going to have to get user to car rides.

Also maybe post where you live- Its possible a member who has meds in stock- or extras as a rat has passed over that can lend you the correct meds to tide you over till you get a good rat vet. I post this as I often have meds that are still not expired that just sit around till they are expired and of not use to anyone. I started giving to the local animal control which does have rats on occasion , but found that they don't or won't medicate rats- So I give to one of the rescues - Getting Debbie D's rat health care book is a good start - and it explains alot of things you need to know. Leaning to compound your own ( minus zithro ) which does need an RX is pretty easy . This guy sounds pretty bad and needs immediate care with an experienced vet or worst case an experienced owner who can point you in the right direction. I feel for you - having been in your shoes. Prayers and hugs J

Last edited:
Thanks again for the messages.
Wish I'd found out about this earlier, this is my fourth rat and have been blessed with great respiratory health of my last 3. I've called a couple vets again today and am trying a different vets very shortly.
He's still doing the same but active and still stuffing his face with food.
Moved his house last night against the water bottle.. Hr later and the cage floor was soaked. Cage clean at midnight :-(
I've joined some local ish forums so we'll see what happens.

He likely need baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) orally twice a day, for at least 6 weeks
Azithromycin can be purchased from a pharmacy by prescription from your vet
As others have said, amount of meds are based on weight and need to be given individually
Nothing should even be added to their water.

It could be a secondary infection, in which case clavamox is good to try,
but secondary infections usually kill very fast so he would likely be dead, unless he has recently gotten on in addition to his myco flareup.

Good that he is going to very vet as he is extremely ill
If you post his weight and the meds, people will be able to double check that he is getting the correct dosage

Hope he is soon feeling better

I hope he feels better soon. Such a sweetheart and just wants cuddles. I've recently lost my 2 old girls to PT and kidney failure so not having the best of luck 😥

Anywhoo after battling with the lil man to get him to stay still on a scale it looks like he's about 180 grams.. He kept breaking free from the vets scales so I'm not sure what they took.
At the minute he's on 0.05 ml baytril through syringe.. I think, it's not with me now.
It's weird because up to the other day there was no red stuff at all, no noise, just pulsing.. Although it's getting worse, he seems more lively.
I'm speaking to another vet again tomorrow as I wasn't impressed with the last one. They do deal with exotics and small furries so will see what they say and mention the medication that may be required.
Wish me & lil one luck!

Hey, so little update on my baby boy.
Took him to a vets within my local petshop as they have good reviews and even the receptionist had experience with rats.
Unlike the other vets, this one said his chest didn't sound good.. And gave some different ideas of what it could be.
He's been given an injection for the pain and I think to reduce inflammation? Think it sounded like cortisone?
I've been told to give baytril still but have been given a weeks worth of septrin as well to see how we get on. I asked about the other drugs mentioned earlier in this post but although not a problem he didn't recommend at this time due to how they work.
He's had 2 doses so far and quite frankly I've not know him as such a mad rat. This evening he's been running high speed and very much dominating both bigger cage mates. I have him out now and he's not stopped.. Normally just lies on me. Breathing is still quick but less noticeable and less noise.
I know it's very early days so will keep a good eye on him and see what happens when I go back for the check up in a week.. hopefully.

Ok, I don't really have any experience with Septrin, but it has been used occasionally on the Shack (more likely European members), I think with good results.
It sounds like he gave your baby a steroid injection too.
I think the best indicator of how it is working is his affect. And it sounds like he is responding very well. Sick rats don't have energy to run around, so I am very hopeful for your baby.
Keep us updated!

Hey, bit of a mid treatment update.
He's a little bully this one.. Won't be bossed about by any of the others. Bless.
My lil boy is doing really well. Completely different rat, chasing the others, stealing food and random items. A happy little boy at lastbit seems 😀
Breathing is silent except for the odd few seconds after a run round, but it's very light and not often. Seems to be definitely improving as days go by.
Weight wise, he doesn't look like he's putting much on although he's eating alot. Is there anything that would be good to get a bit more fat on him? So delicate at the min

You can try higher fat treats like avocado and nuts. Lots of carbs in pasta too, so maybe a plate of spaghetti? :)
Thanks, I'll try something like that. We don't eat those type foods so off to the shops. Luckily he's not as fussy as he used to be
To find exotic vets go to www.aemv.org
Thanks very much for the link. Found 2 just within an hr away 👍

Back