Pepper and Daisy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

I'm going to group these together because they both died in the last two months and I never got around to doing one for Pepper when she died.

cVNpz56.jpg

This is from when I first brought Pepper home. She was a pet store rat that I bought on a whim, and that could have been a huge mistake.. but it wasn't. Pepper and I never really "bonded" as much as her sisters, on account of her intense fear of people, and it was extremely challenging for me to try to hand train her.. and ultimately I never did. Sometimes I wonder if I could have if I spent a little more time with her, but now I'll never know. Regardless - I loved Pepper as much as her other cagemates even if I couldn't hold her - and eventually she loved me too.

2DvT9Rn.jpg

That's Pepper when she was a baby. It didn't take her long at all to bond with Momo and Daisy - and before long they were family.

MfLOT5s.jpg

It goes without saying that this bond remained with them until the end.

Fm6nsqV.jpg

I'll always remember Pepper as the best impulsive decision I ever made. I love you Pepper, you'll always be in my heart and my memories.

And now for Daisy. Sweet, sweet Daisy..

XIPemYG.jpg

I adopted her along with her daughter Momo last year. Something awakened in me then.. I quickly took it upon myself to give them the best possible care I could - and I've done my best to live up to that goal.

FOGWFsZ.jpg

Before I bought Pepper, it was just the two of them. On the top there is Daisy, and the bottom is Momo. Daisy was an absolute sweetheart.. I'd be surprised if I ever meet a female rat who's as gentle and sweet and calm as Daisy was. She wasn't entirely active - but that was okay with her. She was relaxed, but always eager to come up to me to give me kisses on my nose. She had more respiratory problems than any of her cagemates, but she was tough - she'd always bounce back on her feet after having it treated.

q2drSjl.jpg

It's not fair that she had to leave us so abruptly.. but I'll always cherish my memories of her - and I like to think right now she's up in rat heaven with Pepper, cuddling, playing and watching over her cagemates.

Such lovely girls...
I'm sure Pepper was happy not to be picked up. Some rats are snugglers, and some aren't. She looked quite content with her new family - I love that pic with the three of them. :heart:
Daisy was the balance for Pepper, just so that you'd have a sweetie to snuggle as we humans need attention too. :)
Both girls are at the Bridge now, relaxing and playing and talking about what a great home they had.

Such lovely girls...
I'm sure Pepper was happy not to be picked up. Some rats are snugglers, and some aren't. She looked quite content with her new family - I love that pic with the three of them. :heart:
Daisy was the balance for Pepper, just so that you'd have a sweetie to snuggle as we humans need attention too. :)
Both girls are at the Bridge now, relaxing and playing and talking about what a great home they had.

Incidently she did let me snuggle her the day before she died, when she was lethargic from her sickness. It's ironic that my most tender moment with Pepper occurred in her final hours. I'll always cherish that, even if she did only let me hold her because she was sick.

Thank you for sharing about Pepper and Daisy with us
Sounds like they had wonderful lives with you and their friends
I am very sorry for your loss

Thanks everyone. :) It really means a lot. Things are looking up now though! I have two new adorable little 3 month old part-dwarf rats that I adopted off kijiji, and they're absolutely lovely. Daisy and Pepper might be gone - but I'm happy now because Bubbles and Momo finally have a family of four again. It was getting really lonely with only the two of them.

Back