Introducing two rats to a colony?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

So I recently found a woman on Kijiji who's selling her rats and inquired about a female dumbo. Turns out she still has her available but she mentioned separation anxiety she might have being separated from her sister. I don't like to make snap decisions on this scale but the thought of two ratties who love each other bring split up breaks my heart, and I'd like to adopt them both. This also means, however that I'd need to integrate two rats into the colony of two I currently have, which is something I've never done. Is this a good idea? Or is there anything I should know? Behavioural wise?

Personally I've found that integrating two is easier than one, so long as each pair already knows each other (I've never added two different rats who were not buddies already)

I think it gives the newbies courage to have a buddy with them.

I have introed singles, pairs and larger groups in with my colony.
It is pretty much the same, except that I think pairs and groups feel more secure and not as frightened because they are with friends

I just intro them with their friend(s), using the established gradual intro steps

Hope you get both girls ... 4 is a good sized group :)

I would definitely keep those two together and adopt both. I've always done group intros and it's always worked out.

Yeah I did just that. I wouldn't feel right separating them.. and now that they're here with me I know I made the right choice. They're absolute dolls, and no anxiety at all moving to a new place since they have each other.

Back