Any issues with introducing a new cagemate shortly after the death of an old one?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Daisy died yesterday and my girls Momo and Bubbles are really depressed about it right now. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to introduce a new cagemate to them while they're still grieving. Do rats tend to be more aggressive to strangers while in mourning? It just feels so lonely with only the two of them now.

Give them a couple of days to be sad, and then I think it would be fine. Try and avoid any pet store rats as several people ended up bringing in a disease to their colony with rats that had recently come from a pet store.

Give them a couple of days to be sad, and then I think it would be fine. Try and avoid any pet store rats as several people ended up bringing in a disease to their colony with rats that had recently come from a pet store.

Definitely avoiding pet store rats from now on. Pepper was a pet store rat and I think that's part of the reason why her respiratory flare up ate through her so fast.. bad immune system from bad breeding.

Back