Buck 'Grease' - whose rats have it?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canarats

I scrubbed, and brushed my rats regularly until they were a year old, which kept those orangey flakes at bay. Due to a big move, I haven't washed them in the past 2 months, but noticed the grease has not reappeared. Its like they went thru a greasy adolescent phase, and now it's over. What are you guys' experiences?

I scrubbed, and brushed my rats regularly until they were a year old, which kept those orangey flakes at bay. Due to a big move, I haven't washed them in the past 2 months, but noticed the grease has not reappeared. Its like they went thru a greasy adolescent phase, and now it's over. What are you guys' experiences?

I have only noticed a problem with my unneutered boys when they get older and are unable to groom themselves as well as they used to and/or they either don't have cagemates or their cagemates are too sick to help out. They then get a "dawn" bath and a brushing - sometimes a second bath is needed - and then if I keep up on the brushing they are usually alright.

Honestly, it's only really in my older guys when they got too sick to groom themselves that I saw a LOT of buckgrease. Granted, my current intact boy Edgar has quite the orange skin~ but not a whole lot of it.

Back