• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Elyse says thank you so much! see last post

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Me and Fumblesquid are doing an auction on Facebook for a recently rescued rat named Elyse who has a mammary tumor.
Originally we thought why should we do this for one rat, when there are so many rats in rescues needing help? but then we realized, rescues may have many rats but they all do the same thing, help each and every rat as much as they can.
Elyse is just one of many rats in need. she deserves a chance just as much as any other rat. Right?

Elyse is now in her 4th but final home. She's about 18 mos old, a pretty smeeze girl who acts much younger than her estimated age. She's confident, super kissy and very active. And all around wonderful girl.
But she's got a tumor that will surely cut her life short if it's allowed to continue to grow. :(

Elyse%20tumor%203.jpg

Purely by chance I found a vet who is willing to do the tumor removal AND a spay for just $125 plus the cost of the pre surgical exam and meds- so roughly $200 for two surgeries (on the same day)

we (me and fumblesquid) got together, secured some donations, furiously made some stuff and put up an auction on FaceBook here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.500619036770254&type=1

some items dont have any bids yet, others only a few bids.
check them out and see if there's anything you're interested in.
We have generous donations from Joanne and her sister Nicole - a cozy boat and warmer and pop up tent!! three hammocks from Melissa of the Rat Stash, hammocks from Fumbles Fuzz beds https://www.etsy.com/shop/FumblesFuzzBeds?ref=l2-shopheader-name
and some things I"ve made,
more things added daily as I try to find more things to sell

here's a sample of that's up for auction
013_1.jpg

Piddle Pad for Guinea pigs, rats or rabbits, etc.This pad is double fleece (same print on both sides) w/ a layer of terry cloth sandwiched in between. its frame stitched to keep it the layers from shifting. at a big 17 by 26 size, it can be used under your piggies furing "lap time" or set in their favorite corner in their cage to soak up excess piddles. I use these for extra padding in my rat cages. This size fits some of the smaller "hospital" cages that are used for rats.

009_3.jpg

Rainbow chevron triple bunk bed & a clam shell hammock (not shown) in all fleece.

auction%20cozy%20boat.jpg

Donated by Joanne Cote Bouchard and Nicole Wildeman it's the one, the only, COZY BOAT! a wildly popular original design. CozyBoat 18" x 13" Small attached cube: 10" x 7" x 5" Fleece on Fleece, all print. Cube has holes on all side. Joanne has generously offered to cover shipping within the US & Canada.

auction%20cube.jpg

Christmas In July squashed square hammock. Measures a base of 9x9 inches, and is 5 inches tall. Features quilting to keep it together when the rats chew it. It has an entrance on each side. Donated by Fumbles Fuzz Beds

auction%20caterpillar.jpg

Caterpillar tube. This one is experimental. Measures 6 inches in diameter and is 14 inches long. Features two entrances and batting to help its shape.Donated by Fumbles Fuzz Beds

auction%20fabric%20lot.jpg

DIY HAMMOCKS smile emoticon For those of you who like to make your own hammocks, here is a collection of large fleece remnants in 7 different colors (approx 1/4yd each or more) plus four yards of flannel prints: frogs, bright stripes, forest animals & the adorable piRATes print from Joanns that is hard to find. This will ship in an XL poly mailer, as fleece is bulky & does not fit well in flat rate boxes. It will ship via standard post which is $17 but you have the option to upgrade to Priority for $5 more (ships to US addresses only, sorry it exceeds the wt limit for first class to Canada) See comments for better photos of the flannel prints. I estimate you can make over 20 medium (11by13) flat hammocks with this fabric. (donated by me)

auction%20ratty%20tatty.jpg

Donated by Melissa Kress of The Rat Stash, the Ratty Tatty can be hung several different ways and is a much loved hammock.The one you are bidding one will be made in all fleece in the print shown in the photo below.
Melissa has generously offered to pay the shipping world wide for the winning bidder!!!

auction%20warmer.jpg
Donated by Joanne Cote Bouchard and Nicole Wildeman this gorgeous Warmer: 11" x 7" x 5" Fleece on Fleece, all print. Holes on all side.Joanne has generously offered to cover shipping within the US & Canada!!

this is just a sample of the items on auction

it runs til the 5th, or a bit longer, the surgery is scheduled for Aug 12th

Last edited:
I would bid on the cozy boat as mine are pretty mutilated, but no Facebook :(

can someone bid for you as a proxy?

FWIW I tried to make a cozy boat but could not figure it up. Was up all night working on it. Just when I think I've got it figured out... I try something and NOPE,
that wasn't it
:(

sorry

that cozy boat has gotten a ton of bids!! and I totally understand why. ;-)

well there's just about 24 hrs left to bid.
I want to thank everyone for their donations and bids to help this little lady get her surgery.
as the date gets closer I get more nervous... I don't mind having surgery myself, it never really scared me (maybe I'm too stupid to be scared lol ) but having one of my kids have surgery, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

speaking of my kids, Elyse is starting to warm up to Kate and Pippa. She seemed to want to kill them during their first intro and I was having a heart attack thinking I'd made a terrible mistake, getting this girl as a companion. eeep!

the first intro session was in the tub and no one was scared of the tub, they all just went after each other, darn near had a 3 way rat ball!!

I guess I was rushing things, since Elyse had only been here a couple of days

the next intro session was done on Aug 2nd during the tiny cupcake birthday part for Kate and Pippa
I thought I had this on video but i must not have pushed the on button hard enough :/
it went pretty well, when they started to get puffy i put Elyse in a cage with her cupcake.
she was much more interested in her cake than anything else lol

two nights ago, i had all three on the table again, with some tasty baby cereal flavored and they got along great!
some pushing and shoving at the bowl but no rat balls, no signs of aggression.

Elyse was puffy but it was more a nervous puffy not an aggressive one

Elyse is a very active girl, I hope Kate and Pippa can keep up with her lol Kate and Pippa are at least 6 mos younger

018.jpg

022.jpg

Last edited:
Elyse had her surgery on Wed and it went Great!
the vet decided she was not comfortable doing a spay so she just removed the tumor, which turned out to have 3 lobes

after the surgery the vet shared her lunch with Elyse
turns out the vet is a rat lover, not an exotics vet, sadly but willing to do surgeries on rats cuz she loves them

she did a great job, the incision looks really good, no redness, swelling, nothing.

the auction raised just over $200!! thank you all SO much!
however there was a bit of a "problem"- the vet gave us such a great discount that there was money leftover. I felt certain that the people who participated would want this overage to go to a struggling rescue with many boys who need to be neutered, and so I sent $125 to Peggy's (hopefloats) Rescued Rat Adoptions to help them with that goal
http://www.rescuedratadoptions.com/

They will still need quite a bit more to get all the hormonal boys neutered and there's been talk of doing a raffle and/or auction to help raise what is needed

I' will definitely donate to this effort but It would be great if someone could step up to organize this? someone who perhaps has a faster computer and more tech skills than I do LOL

I will start a thread about it, and will help as much as I can but I can't organize it. It's really not too hard but can be extremely time consuming if you don't have a good computer. Mine freezes for up to 20 mins at a time and has to be shut down frequently, which is one of the reasons I'm not around here much.

but back to Elyse!! here are some photos of the very happy girl, minus her evil tumor!!
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR HELPING TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR HER!!

013.jpg

day 2 looks great.jpg

look at my bootiful belly.jpg

coffee, where is my coffee.jpg

My girls say thank you (Nic and Jo) for the hammock! They checked it out really quick before going back to bed.

Also great to see Elyse doing well. :)

Elyse looks wonderful! So glad that the auction money was able to help more than one rat.

I just got my Christmas in July hammock today, and it is beautiful! Many thanks to Fumbles Fuzz Beds for this hammock. I was going to save it for Christmas, but I won't be able to wait.

Back