What is going on?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
So apparently we have a virus in my 'rat room'. Last night, we lost Milton. He went to the vet yesterday with sudden heavy breathing, and my vet did everything he could to save him, but we couldn't. I have disinfected all cages and the room, and I really need to fight this. Everyone seems okay with just a few sneezes here and there. How can I boost everyone's immune system and fight this thing? I already have lost Mink and Milton from it in a period of over a few months. Rest in Peace Milton, mommy loves you so much. :sad4:

If it's truly a virus then you'll have to get every rat on antibiotics. Everyone would already be exposed and it would be "too late" for immunities. I know when hopefloats was hit with one, she had all rats on 2 (actually might have been 3) antibiotics and a steroid. I'm sorry you lost Milton, RIP cute boy. <3

Viruses don't spread like you're describing though... two deaths over the period of months are not likely a virus.
Viruses ravage through colonies and wipe out large numbers within a week or two.

For general immunities, I find children's echinacea drops (1 per day, you give it for a week then go off for a week then back on for a week, etc.) work well.
Here's where I got mine, a bottle will last a lifetime haha:
http://www.vitacost.com/childlife-echinacea
Also, I've heard good things about Booster, which I have used but we weren't using it for immunities in particular.
http://www.exoticdvm.com/Omega3Booster
Is the Booster I have, I was given it for Rocky because of the Omega 3 specifically. All of my rats seemed to love it, although like I said I can't say in particular that I ~know~ it did much for immunities.

Do you have a HEPA air purifier? That might also help.
What temperature do you keep your rat room? A lower one is better, more towards 69 degrees Fahrenheit.
A good diet and healthy weights always help too. :)

Last edited:
My babies are fed Oxbow, there's a filter in the room, and there's plenty of good air flow and such. The temp is around that too. They get plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. No rat is over or under weight. I am so confused and so is my vet. We are going to do an autopsy if it is a reasonable price. This is so weird. I really don't want to lose any more of my babies.

Well, there is a possibility that it's just a coincidence that you've had two deaths close together. Is anyone else in your colony acting sick?
As far as I understand, a virus would have spread within two weeks, although it's more likely to spread faster.
I hope you guys can figure out something either way. Maybe try the Echinacea, there is a lot of promising research on it's preventative properties.

Alright, I will order some. Everyone else is fine except for a few sneezes. When my vet calls I will ask about antibiotics. I just don't want this to happen again

I'm sorry you have lost your sweet boy. I too believe that if it was a virus, it would make everyone sick in a short period, within a week or so. So I am really hoping it was just coincidence and that everyone else is OK. Fingers and toes crossed for you!

Back