Clindamycin?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corallyne

I know that Baytril, Doxy, and tetracyline are popular rat medications for myco flares. However, I had a vet (not my normal vet) try to prescribe clindamycin. I insisted on baytril since I'm not familiar with that medicine. Is it okay for ratties?

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/clindamycin.php

It looks like its safe for rats, just not a very effective choice. :)
I doubt it would do much for a myco flare up or respiratory infection, especially on it's own. Perhaps short term treatment for abcesses would be a good use for this medicine...
I've never heard of anyone using it in particular although the name sounds very familiar for some reason.

We tried Clindamycin briefly for a very resistant infection that wasn't responding to our normal combos. Never found out whether or not it was effective because it tasted so horrid I wasn't able to get much into the rat regularly. My vet is aware of the difficulties of getting icky meds into rats, I forget how the meds were prepared but if there had been a more palatable way to prepare them, he would have done it.

Back