New friends for Sid?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie_0599

Hello! I've had my rat Sid for about six months now and he is turning a year old in September!
I've finally convinced my mom into letting me get him friends, two boys named Peppers and Ivan(Peppers is 6-8 months old and Ivan is six weeks)
I'm just wondering because Sid hasn't had any interaction with other rats since he was three weeks old as he was bred to be a feeder. (He's the lone survivor even his parents have been fed off)
Sid is such a sweet boy and I don't want his temperament to change drastically because of new friends. I would like to know if this might happen or if there are any other possible consequences that might pop up.

You'll have to introduce him gradually to the new boys. There are some great threads on how to do intros.

Good luck! He will be so happy to have friends once he gets used to them.

I've been looking and they all have essentially the same gist to them.
Are there any specific topics that I could look at?

There's a pretty basic introduction process that most people accept as the best. If you have any questions after reading through some of the threads, let me know and I will try to help. :)
Jorats is a queen when it comes to intros. If you have any problems when you start, just make a thread here and she will help you. C:
If you want an insane amount to read through and see a ton of videos of,you can flip through my old intro thread. (warning, I have a potty mouth and swear sometimes in my videos. they can also be excruciatingly boring because they are looong, but I figure it's a decent resource.)
Sid should be fine, rats are social by nature, so it's in his genetics to want to be part of a crew. If he had any hormonal problems, you would have already seen them by this age. :)

Back