What is this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Came home from a five day trip and found this. Somw how daddy never noticed it or what it was before it became this scab thing. About the size of a dime, doesn't smell, feels hard all around, and he does squeak when I mess with it. He is already on azithromycin for his sneezing. Is it safe to give him children's advil? He's 672 grams

My guess would be an abscess that has already popped. You should trim the hair back off the area and give it a good cleaning. If it is an abscess, then that is the scab. If it is sore, there may be some infection trapped underneath the scab. If so, then you should try and soak it off so any infection can drain. Or even if it doesn't come off, the soaking will soften it so it may drain in a little spot.

That is shaved and cut back - I did it before I took the picture. If it was an abscess, it was huge! That makes me more angry at rat daddy - I felt it the minute I picked him up.

What would cause a sore? Are we back to ring worm again?

Today the scab is gone and its yellow looking. I'll give it another day or two and see what happens. Can he get advil with the azithromycin?

Vet thinks it was an infection, from possibly a bite. She wanted to know if he got into a fight. Hmmm, hubby didn't even notice the big scab doubt he noticed a fight! He's on baytril and she measured the wound to keep an eye on it size.

Looks like a popped abscess to me as well- i can't recall which rat I had that had that but the drak scab sure looks familiar to me. I believe that dr Gold one of the MD rat vets - ended up draining it and placed the rat on the TMZ- SP something - a combo AB that saturates all tissues -

I know in dogs they have similar stuff happen when seasons change - and they call them hot spots the dog will lick it if they can and then it becomes an infected abscess. We trim the fur and then place a warm black tea bag over the area- the tannins in the black tea draw any of the infection out and dries it out alot quicker - Not sure if that would work on a rat - but I'd feel comfortable trying it - Then rinsing off the rat if its in an area they can lick-

there is a great product out there that has been used on exotics all types called HealX and Soother plus- By Harisson I've used it with success in a number of differing treatments - and it is completely lick safe -

Have actually used most of these products including the Booster which is great for myco prevention - Of course the rats that love it are usually the ones that don't need it - But there is a thread online somewhere about myco and booster being used and documented as keeping myco infections at bay without having to continue to rely on life time AB .

http://www.exoticdvm.com/heal-x

I think if you put Booster in the search here you can see those that felt it helpful - I know that the HealX has been helpful here- I have not been proactive about the Booster myself- just too many things on the to do list but I feel comfortable using it .

Looks like a popped abscess to me as well- i can't recall which rat I had that had that but the drak scab sure looks familiar to me. I believe that dr Gold one of the MD rat vets - ended up draining it and placed the rat on the TMZ- SP something - a combo AB that saturates all tissues -

I know in dogs they have similar stuff happen when seasons change - and they call them hot spots the dog will lick it if they can and then it becomes an infected abscess. We trim the fur and then place a warm black tea bag over the area- the tannins in the black tea draw any of the infection out and dries it out alot quicker - Not sure if that would work on a rat - but I'd feel comfortable trying it - Then rinsing off the rat if its in an area they can lick-

there is a great product out there that has been used on exotics all types called HealX and Soother plus- By Harisson I've used it with success in a number of differing treatments - and it is completely lick safe -

Have actually used most of these products including the Booster which is great for myco prevention - Of course the rats that love it are usually the ones that don't need it - But there is a thread online somewhere about myco and booster being used and documented as keeping myco infections at bay without having to continue to rely on life time AB .

http://www.exoticdvm.com/heal-x

I think if you put Booster in the search here you can see those that felt it helpful - I know that the HealX has been helpful here- I have not been proactive about the Booster myself- just too many things on the to do list but I feel comfortable using it .
We've tried booster and our rats weren't too thrilled with it. They do however like OI-Immune so we use that.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ.../148032.aspx?gclid=CI_ekeKAkMcCFQiQaQodkFII9w

As for healx if your referring to this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TA2BR2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Already using it and have for a year or more. She didn't want us to use it on Hank though for this, but if we wanted to we could use a very small amount. We are using it on Wally's tail and abscess "hole".

Our vet is also an holistic wellness center so we have used many herbal products.

Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
YEs that the healx and booster same company -

Ive found that some of my rats Love Booster and lick it right off my finger or any food i put in on and others hate it - Murphy;s law its the one that needs it that hates it.

The healx Ive used alot for dermal stuff in dogs- rats and myself- And found it worked great for minor issues - esp paw abrasion on dogs - I guess I feel comfortable using that over an topical AB because I don't have to worry of they ingest it . We used to use Utter cream for same issues but I worried about the additive ingredents . I tend to try natural stuff for skin issues and digestion - But w. rats go immed .. to ABs at the first sign of any resp issues and to Cabergoline / Galastop at the the first signs of PT . Those are the ones that can kills fast . Mine you we had one rat that got in a fight - unknown to us- that suddenly looked like she was dying - We had no reason why - No resp stuff just basically dying !! one day she looked off the next she could barely ( at 8 months old) get up a ramp and had a belly full of what looked like blueblack swelling - This was off course at close to midnight - so in a last ditch effort to save her , husband drove an hr to the only 24 ER that sees exotics - that vet took one look at her and said it was a massive infection from a bite wound- We saw no punture marks - The vet shaved the area and cleaned it out - Put her on SMZ-TMP - with in 12 hrs she was her normal grumpy bosy self -
I had expected them to put her to sleep and that my husband would be coming home with her body. So you just never know-

Back