Reasons I shouldn't have Fosters... more intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephye

Dat Rat Lady
Because I fall in love with their adorable faces <3

My recent fosters consisted of 4 rats, Bonsai, Lotus, Snapdragon and Bebop.
I fell in love with Snapdragon, a rat after my own heart I swear. I wasn't really looking for more rats. Since losing Nemo and Bandit back to back I haven't really had much energy. I was mostly focusing on Edgar and Vincent now. But it seems I can't help myself.
Bonsai and Lotus were adopted out today and I was given permission to try introing Snapdragon and Bebop to my group.

Session 1
Intro Time: 35 Mins
Place: Couch neutral ground
Rats: Bebop (4 months), Snapdragon (4 months), Edgar (10 months), and Vincent (1 year and neutered)
Bebop and Snapdragon are bonded
Edgar and Vincent are bonded

Unsurprisingly Bebop was very accepting of my group. He would let Vincent and Edgar walk all over him, groom him and much to my dislike pee on him -_____-. He only got into a squabble because Vincent was puffy from Snapdragon and he was in the wrong place, wrong time. They made up and were okay, no one was hurt. Bebop didn't move much during the intro and chose to just sit in the corner with Edgar most of the time.

Snapdragon, man. He's such a puffy man. He really puffs up against Edgar, they got into a small squabble and I've had to break up things before it escalated into a squabble. He usually calms down right away as soon as he's away from the situation. Not sure if that's an okay sign? I'm trying to avoid a neuter at this point since that was sort of the deal <-< if I was going to keep him. He's okay with Vincent , I think he feels challenged next to Edgar. He ate beside both of them at the, and could run around near them without puffing though. He spent a lot of his time exploring so he wasn't heavily focused on being all puffy.

Vincent, has always been the hardest to intro. He did much better today though! No screaming from him, or constant whining. He did eventually get puffy at Snapdragon who tried to groom him. Now he instapuffs near him. -sigh-

Any help or input would be great! Despite having done a few, I'm still wary of intros.

Last edited:
Session 2
Intro Time: 30 Mins
Rats: Bebop (4 months), Snapdragon (4 months), Edgar (10 months), and Vincent (1 year and neutered)

Why is the one male that NEUTERED the worst to intro. I swear. Vincent has been nothing but a butt any time he's tried to intro post neuter and prior. Vincent was okay at first, looking around sniffing other rats. UNTIL Snapdragon tried to steal a cheerio from him like most rats do. Then he started to puff. No matter WHO was around him he would puff and try to fight them. @-@ Omg. He even puffed around his cagemate and got bit Snapdragon. Like I don't even know what to do with him. It's not like he has any more balls to cut off. His tension definitely affected the rest of the group, any time he was around everyone was on edge and would be nervous around one another. Sigh, I don't know what to do.

Snapdragon spent most of the time exploring, running around and trying to take food from the others. Unfortunately him and Vincent got into a spat and Vincent bit his front paw. -______- At least I think it was Vincent, I didn't notice the wound until I was playing with his hands.

Bebop did what he usually did and hung out in a corner, usually accompanied by Edgar. Vincent also had a small spat with him.

Edgar Ran around, got into a spat with Snapdragon in the tunnel. I removed the tunnel and they were fine again. Rested mostly near Bebop and almost got into a spat with Vincent who puffed at him a lot.

Last edited:
It actually sounds like it's going very good. I would keep doing the intros and I would ignore Vincent's puffiness. Unless you see an out right attack from Vincent, I would keep doing the intros as you are doing now.
As for the bite on the paw, that's not an aggression thing, probably an oops, got in at the way thing.

It actually sounds like it's going very good. I would keep doing the intros and I would ignore Vincent's puffiness. Unless you see an out right attack from Vincent, I would keep doing the intros as you are doing now.
As for the bite on the paw, that's not an aggression thing, probably an oops, got in at the way thing.

S: What would count as an outright attack? I've broken up small spats that are almost like a rat ball but I didn't let it get far enough for them to roll around longer than the initial second or two. I usually just put my hand between them and they move away from me/each other.

That's perfect, keep doing that.
A real attack will be a bite or slice on the stomach or scrotum. That's when we put the breaks on intros.

Session 3
Intro Time: 1 Hour

Today everyone went pea fishing C: It's really hot today, like 38c it's awful outside. So it was a nice way to cool everyone down.

Vincent Spent a lot of time away from the group. He would come pick a pea or two and run away. He often hid under the blanket I used to protect the couch. He didn't come out much. When he did he would go near the other boys who would just ignore him. He puffed A LOT when he was near the other rats. Only one 'bad' incident when he went too close to Bebop and made Bebop flip on his back and squeak. It scared Vincent more though I think.

Edgar Hung out with Bebop a lot, fished for peas and just moved around once in a while. He went to check on Vincent since he didn't see him for a while but returned to the rat group after.

Snapdragon Explored lots, ate a ton, and climbed on my shoulders often. He ignored Vincent any time Vincent would try and get close to him he would turn away. Once in a while he would check out Bebop and Edgar but he was too busy having an adventure.

Bebop He did move around a little! But as usual just spent time sitting in the corner, hanging around Edgar and not doing much other than his encounter with Vincent.

I decided to do a cage swap this time and see if it'll help Vincent maybe get used to the other rats scent more. Hopefully this will make him stop puffing so much.

Some pictures c:
6ff7818cfa05f7c53c0a5c5b8cd8f045.jpg
08fd6cfeb15a50262518c20283a822a4.jpg
0106e98bc0e71565e18d1306a40f4248.jpg
c55a53bd479050340394cf9f775638fc.jpg

Session 4
Intro Time: 1 hour 20 Mins

Vincent Spent a lot of time trying to make what I call his 'man cave' which really is a bundle of blankets which he hides in during intros. This time he was a LOT better than before. He puffed a lot but was at one point deflated by Bebop who I don't even know how by just standing there next to Vincent. He would puff a lot around Snapdragon but never try to attack, they did almost rat ball but both jumped at each other and missed landing on the opposite end of one another. They kept circling each other while puffing but no rat balls.

Edgar Was quiet today, he sat in the corner with Bebop and would just groom Bebop or move around a little to get some baby food. He did get into a small spat with Snapdragon but that was the only 'real' incident.

Snapdragon Guess he was in a grumpy mood today. He was puffing at Edgar and Vincent which he didn't do last time. Even having a small spat with Edgar. He was very curious as usual during the intro and would run around the couch trying to find a way off of it. He would eat with everyone though and could walk past them just sometimes he would puff up a lot.

Bebop was very active for him at least today! He moved around and even tried to quell the puffy Vincent. He would just stand his ground and sit there like a rock while Vincent would push into him. He ate baby food as well and let Edgar groom him lots. Edgar and him get along really well together and like to stay close to one another. I'm hoping that since those two have accepted each other their cage mates will learn to get along too. ;-;

Session 5
Intro Time: 1 Hour 20 mins

I really hope you're right Jo! Fingers and paws crossed.

Vincent He was actually okay today, he only had one spat with Snapdragon which he ran away from afterwards. He was very scared of all the rats today. He often kept his distance and tried to hide away when he could. If he was approached he would do a high pitched peep and swipe with his paws towards the rat. Most rats stayed away from him when he did this giving him his space. I had to stop Snapdragon once from just trying to approach him since Vincent was just running away scared. He ate a little but spent most of the time hiding if he wasn't able to hide he would sit on the high part of the couch away from the group.
I feel bad for him honestly, I feel like he's not really a 'rat' rat. He's never been good with intros before and would always scream at the other rats and get scared by their presence. Even with Edgar his cage mate he doesn't want to be near Edgar very often and definitely doesn't sleep near him too much. I often hear peeps of protest from their cage.

Edgar was very quiet today. He just slept in his corner and ate baby food with Bebop. He had his food stolen by Snapdragon often but wouldn't let Bebop take his food. Snapdragon puffed up against him even though Edgar wasn't doing anything and they had been fine all night. I just separated them and they were back to being okay. Snapdragon, Bebop and Edgar all ate from the dish together.

Snapdragon was showing everyone he was the food boss. He would take other's treats and do what he wants. He was as usual trying to get off the couch and would only rest as long as I wasn't moving. Him and Vincent still can't see eye to eye yet but it's getting better. If Snaps and Vincent get into a tension stare down often Bebop will be near to what I hope stop the fight.

Bebop was definitely more active again. He was moving about being curious and eating lots of yummy food. He spent a lot following Snapdragon around and sitting beside Edgar. He had no issues with being near Vincent and even had his food stolen once by Vincent.

80005a861774d56222e09af58b2e6592.jpg

There's Vincent hanging out at the top, he was hunkered down for most of it. Snaps and Bebop at the food dish and in the dark shadowed corner is Edgar who is also a black rat so... he's just chilling there.

Poor Vincent, he has to give up the thrown... probably to Snapdragon. That's a cool name, do you have a nickname for him? Snappy. lol
Keep at it!

Session 6
Intro Time: 25 minutes
Haha! We call Snapdragon a lot of things, Snappy, Snaps, Snapple, and Snapper are the more common ones. I honestly think Vincent is the only one we call by his name all the time. C:
Edgar is either Bat or Eggy
Bebop is Beemo or Bingos

Unfortunately I didn't have time to give them a long intro today~ was having dinner with the boyfriend's family and had an doctor appointment. But today went really really well!

Vincent Was much better today! Not as much puffing. I rat proofed the couch more to avoid him trying to hide in his 'man cave' so he had to interact with the others. He ran away more from Snapdragon and would often run to the others in the group if Snapdragon was chasing him. He would only eat the babyfood once Snaps was moved back to his cage at the end though. But no rat ball! I could even turn my back on them and not here screams of death. Nor did he do the screaming at other rats coming close to him this time. C: I know it was a shorter intro but it felt nice seeing it.

Edgar seems very timid, might be the heat but he stayed in the cardboard box hide out for the whole intro.

Snapdragon bouncing around, stealing treats, chasing Vincent who would sometimes follow Snaps around. He was his typical self, he did puff a little at Edgar but didn't do anything once I called his name so he stopped. He also backed away from Vincent if he hid with the other rats.

Bebop hung out in the box at lot with Edgar, but would check out what Snaps and Vincent were up to if he could see commotion.

Session 7 (Wow has it already been a week?!)
Intro Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

Today went well :) so happy with my boys~

Vincent No puffing from Vincent today, he still tried to hide away. If Snapdragon was bothering him he would run away now and hide with the group in the cardboard box. He still does the screaming them when Snaps gets too close but doesn't do anything but run away now. I actually watched him scream at Snaps so long that Snaps laid down under Vincent. xD

Edgar Pinned Vincent down and after that occurred him and Snapdragon started having some scuffles. Mostly Snaps puffing towards Edgar and Edgar just standing there waiting for it to be over.

Snapdragon well being his normal self, trying to assert himself to Vincent. I.E mounting him which failed since Vincent hid with the other rats which stopped Snapdragon. He was puffing towards Edgar for some reason but it didn't last very long. He was mostly bouncing around the couch and eating baby food.

Bebop He just really hung out and didn't do much today.

They all laid down after a while, some together and some not. They seem to be getting along better. I'm glad Vincent is finding comfort in the other boys even if it's to avoid Snaps.

Session 8
Intro Time: 1 hour

Well, I got bit today. Not the worst I've been bitten but enough to draw blood. Snapdragon was puffing at Edgar and I got inbetween them which caused a bite from Snaps. I'm starting to think Snaps actually needs a neuter. He's been biting my arms up and down not hard enough to break the skin but it still hurts and he does that with my hand.

Vincent I had a cardboard box sideways which I had to remove since all three rats just hid in there away from Snaps the whole time if it was out... He's still screaming at Snaps for getting too close and running away. No puffing.

Edgar seems to be the new target for Snaps. Snaps puffs at him and always tries to scuffle with him now. I got bit trying to stop an interaction. He also hides away in the cardboard box and doesn't want to come out. He also freezes a lot.

Snapdragon I'm thinking he needs a neuter if he wants to be with my guys :C which upsets me since I could only keep him if that wasn't the case. Everyone hides from him, even his cagemate would rather stay with the group most of the tim. I'm not sure what to do now.

Bebop Came out of the box sometimes but mostly stayed there with Edgar and Vincent.

cc3c717d34e2b29efc415e002c84d4da.jpg

The boys hiding from Snaps together

Last edited:
Yep, I think you are right. If you can, I'd get that little boy neutered and that will probably help Vincent calm down even.

Unfortunately that's not really my call. Since he's a foster the rescue head would rather have him adopted out with his cagemate if he couldn't get along with mine.

Oh that's right. He's a foster. Well then, we need to make more neutral ground intros. Lets see if we can get him to change his mind. :)

Back