Advice on separating my girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

So we still have a lot of the girls from Lyza's litter and I love them so that's not a problem besides how fast they go through a 20# bag of oxbow.

My little girl out of the litter is Little Heart. She is a black English irish rex and her marking is... A little heart haha.

Well while cleaning their cage yesterday I had everyone out on the bed for out time. I've noticed lately more grumbling and tussling but nothing over the top.

Well LilHeart has never squeaked or squealed or acted scared of me ever. But during out time she would immediately belly up or squeal and run away if I tried to pick her up this time. I checked her over during all the squeaking and she doesn't seem to have any injuries. I believe she is getting bullied.

I do know that she's very submissive compared to her sisters so I am thinking of trying to separate her and Momma and one of the more docile girls into a separate cage for awhile?

I haven't Taken her out yet today to see how she is doing with being held or handled today. It is just completely out of norm to me, she is always the first at the door for scritches.

Advice please?
7091bfc9d17e8008fcd20b002a8a2101.jpg

One of my girls will occasionally squawk at me when I pick her up. This earns her a longer time in my arms and much smooching. I take it as a protest, and I want to reinforce that I am the colony leader and therefore she should let me 'groom' her.
I find females are more likely to be like that when they are in heat too.

I completely forgot about heat. It's been so long since I've really had girls. They are all 2 and a half months old and I don't know how I am going to separate myself from any of them.

I do watch though and Little Heart does kinda get the short end of the stick. I am debating separating her and Runty(not so runty now) with their Momma into another cage and start intros with Flux now that he's nice and sterile.

She has just never acted like that before and it really worried me. Love that sweet little girl

She does have a pretty little heart!

I would not separate them. They will all be happier together. Rats live in a hierarchy - it is normal for there to be a pecking order, and some pinning and grooming. My nakies are always squeaking when someone is getting groomed.
The only time I would even consider separating is if someone is getting consistently injured, and not just a scratch either, but major injuries. My nakies get scraped and scratched all the time. Sometimes you can can even see teeth marks. You know these injuries are accidents, because if a rat really wanted to injure another, it would be a blood bath.
Only people have a problem being bossed and dominated. ;)

She just projectile peed on me and the bed when I picked her up. :( I have never dealt with this before so it's freaking me out some for sure.

I actually needed to separate them anyway because of space issues. When they were smaller, I put them all in there, but that cage is an up to 4 females cage, not 8. She is probably going into the smaller cage with her Momma and rexy Siamese girl possibly named Tilda.

She probably really had to pee when you picked her up, and then you may have inadvertently squeezed her bladder or startled her. They don't normally let loose like that.

If you have too many rats in a cage, the squabbling could be caused because they just can't get away from each other. I recently had to take my girls somewhere and they had to live in their smaller cage for the time being (my large cage isn't easily movable). They squabbled so much more in their small cage than they ever do in their large cage. I also have a girl that when in heat becomes the biggest baby. She'll squeal and dart away when I try to grab her. I even had to dig her out from their leaning tower of boxes. I would say separating them because of space issues is reasonable.

Back