Sneezy Rats and Store-Suggested Medicine?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanaya

I was at the pet store getting some toys for my rats when I remembered that they've been sneezing a bit recently. So I asked the clerk and she gave me this and said it worked for her rats when they had an infection.

01e539630d5cb3b357c6472062bed407.jpg

f2a265dca7cb3ae58a62405692f632f7.jpg

So I bought it but now I'm wondering if it's legitimate, or if it's some homeopathic bull and I just paid 20 bucks for a spray bottle of water. Does anyone have any insight? I tried googling it but I've had no luck.

From WebMD:
"Colloidal silver is a mineral. Despite promoters’ claims, silver has no known function in the body and is not an essential mineral supplement. Colloidal silver products were once available as over-the-counter drug products, but in 1999, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled that these colloidal silver products were not considered safe or effective. Colloidal silver products marketed for medical purposes or promoted for unproven uses are now considered “misbranded” under the law without appropriate FDA approval as a new drug. There are currently no FDA-approved over-the-counter or prescription drugs containing silver that are taken by mouth. However, there are still colloidal silver products being sold as homeopathic remedies and dietary supplements."

Link:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...tid=779&activeingredientname=colloidal silver

Are these new rats? Perhaps I missed a thread on their sneezing issues? I currently use fleece. We have one boy, we named Sneezer, because he always sneezes. He came from a smoker's house and the house was pretty bad. We've tried everything about three antibiotics and on and no change so we believe he just has damage from that house. We have another that has been sneezing for a few weeks, also tried antibiotics on, benadryl seems to be helping him (children's dye free). He saw the vet today and we are starting him on azithromycin to see if that helps. After that he will go on the holistics DMG and OI-Immune

Yes they're new rats. They're my first rats and I'm probably being overly worried about them. At what point does it become a concern?

You could try giving them some Benadryl for their sneezing is it's becoming wet and if you hear congestion. Some sneezing with new rats is expected because they are adjusting and they sniff everything, it's how they learn about their environment. If the sneezing goes beyond a month, then I'd try some children's benedryl and if that doesn't help, then a vet visit is in order.

If they become worse, then they will need to see a good rat vet asap
because while rats often sneeze a bit initially when rehomed, rats also become ill and die fast if not put on appropriate antibiotics

You may also want to make sure there are no strong odors that could be irritating their resp. systems

For future reference, medicines etc bought from pet stores are not good - at best they do no harm, but they often harm or kill pets
and you can bring home airborne diseases, such as SDA, from stores that sell animals

I hope this info helps and
I hope they soon stop the sneezing and are fine

Last edited:
I switched their bedding over to fleece from aspen shavings because it was a bit dusty and I've heard some people say that aspen is okay and others saying it should be avoided just like pine. I'm also wondering if it might be because of the fossil flour that was suggested to me to eliminate mites that I was suspicious that one of them had. So I've ceased the fossil flour and they have new bedding so we'll see how they do.

It is quite possible with the elimination of both the shavings and the flour that things will clear up.
Revolution topical treatment is a very easy and effective way of ensuring your rats do not have mites.

They're still sneezing but they seem to be having less sneezing fits. I'm also trying colloidal silver until the ammoxiclian I ordered arrives between the 11th and 20th (if there was faster shipping I would have gotten it but no luck). I have to say, they don't like the medicine dropper at all.

I wouldn't be giving them colloidal silver... There are no studies that indicate silver helps humans or rats, in fact it may permanently harm them.
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver

Amoxi is not a great antibiotic, either. Especially on it's own. If you are going to use an antibiotic you bought online, I highly suggest that you fully understand compounding and dosing first. Also recognize that you may be giving expired or weak (or counterfeit) medications, due to restrictions for prescription-less antibiotics.
Are they showing symptoms of a bacterial infection?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be giving them colloidal silver... There are no studies that indicate silver helps humans or rats, in fact it may permanently harm them.
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver

Amoxi is not a great antibiotic, either. Especially on it's own. If you are going to use an antibiotic you bought online, I highly suggest that you fully understand compounding and dosing first. Also recognize that you may be being expired or weak medications, due to restrictions for prescription-less antibiotics.
Are they showing symptoms of a bacterial infection?
The silver is the only thing I can get and I'm giving it in very low doses, mixed with 1/3 water. I read about the issues which is why I'm doing such low doses. I can't do anything until August 10th, so I'm pretty much stuck. Lots of people online, and a local experienced rat owner and another breeder who I ran into said they use it for their rats and it works... So I figured low doses was better than nothing until I can get real antibiotics.

I've found a good guide for dosing for amoxicillin, similar to this post here. Lots of people has said that it's good for treating secondary infections, so I'm hoping it'll help Ellie and Maka.

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2047

If that doesn't work I'll switch to tetracycline. Both tetracycline and amoxicillin are available easily in non-mixed forms for fish to help with fin rot and other bacterial infections. Everyone suggests all these drugs on here but this has been the only way that I've found to get them.

Also, arise from sneezing a bunch they seem fine. No wheezing, no discharge, healthy appetites, the problem is that they've been sick since I brought them home, so I can't compare their behaviour to what would be normal.

I would be interested in any empirical or scientific evidence that shows it has positive effects. Of course, at the end of the day it's your choice to follow any anecdotal advice.

If you think they have bacterial infections, why not go to a vet before August 10th?

I'm curios if the guide you found was from Debby's site, as this post was a copy/paste of her info? It's true that in 2008, amoxi was a more useful drug for bacterial treatment. Since then, we have found much more effective drugs and drug combinations, such as Batyril & Doxy (a tetracycline).

The way to get the drugs we suggest is your vet, who can write a prescription. :)

I know what you are talking about, "Fish-mox", is what it's commonly referred too. I brought up compounding because these are "non-mixed". I was just saying, the math can get complicated and it's important to know how to compound and measure the powders.
All antibiotics that you buy online are not going to be as good as vet prescribed. Some are weak versions, some are counterfeit (as in just a useless powder with no medicine), some are imported from Russia years ago and long expired and some are cheaper antibiotics labeled and sold as others. I'm just warning you that there is a reason that you are able to find somewhere to buy prescription only drugs - they aren't exactly as advertised.

Also, arise from sneezing a bunch they seem fine. No wheezing, no discharge, healthy appetites, the problem is that they've been sick since I brought them home, so I can't compare their behaviour to what would be normal.

How long since you brought them home?
Do you have any strong scents in the room, like candles / sprays, etc?
Is it allergy season? Do you have carpet? How often do you clean the cage? (and what do you clean with? white vinegar is good for killing smells, but if I use more than a teaspoon, it makes one of my girls sneeze like crazy).
There are actually quite a lot of things that can cause ~just~ sneezing.
How often would you say they sneeze, multiple times an hour, every hour?
Personally, I think there is a lot of confusing information on ~just~ sneezing out there. When I first researched rats, there were many sites that claimed you should -never- hear a healthy rat sneeze. And that's simply untrue.

Last edited:
I know... I've considered all these things but the problem is that where I live there is only one specialized vet, and they charge 70 per check up per rat, and that doesn't even include any tests or medication. I was prepared for vet bills when I got them, but just getting them broke my pet budget for the month (I had planned for 200 a month for my pet expenses in total) and I won't have the money to take them to a vet until September when student loans come in. I'm not a professional or very experienced. I'm a university student who was given a free rat that would otherwise be pirhanna food and I've now spent over $300 trying to make sure I give her a good home. I don't know what else to do. I'm scared and I'm running out of money and I'm trying my best with what resources I have. I'm doing all the research I can.

Back