Free 2 girls - were rescued now inner ear infection can not afford vet - Windsor NS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
on kijiji - pics and info re inner ear infection on facebook

===========================

I have two free rats to give away
I got them from someone that was moving away and I didn't want anything bad to happen to them they come with a homemade cage ( needs some fixing ) they have never bitten but
need to go to someone that can work with them and knows what they are doing
NEED TO GO ASAP

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/bedford/two-free-rats/1082533292?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

These are my cousin's rats. I was going to take them in, but the rats are adults, are not very well socialized, the rat that she says has an ear infection does constant circles and has done it before she got them.

A few more details about them one is a back and white hooded, and the other is a Berkshire. I would take them but if they don't get along with other rats I would not have a place for them. Their cage they have now would need to be replaced.

I heard that the person she got them from was going to dump them outdoors ... if that is true the girl may have not been treated for an inner ear infection.
Is it possible to get her treated while waiting for a good home?

Last edited:
She doesn't have the money for the vets, and yes the previous owners were just going to put them outside if no one took them so she took them in as soon as possible not knowing anything about the rats, or knowing that one needs to see the vets.

She had asked the previous owners about the circles and when she started doing it and they told her she started doing it shortly after they got them but never took her to the vets then.

She is a single mother and right now struggles with getting a job herself so paying for the rats vet bill isn't something she can do. Her brother was going to get them but his girlfriend is terrified of them she shakes even holding mine.

I have asked her about them and she said the rat doesn't go in circles as much as it was, I am thinking ear infection but I also think it could be a permanent thing now.

Sense she didn't post pictures these are pictures she sent me. She says they can get all the way to the bottom of the cage. The black and white hooded is the one who circles.

dawn.jpg

dawn2.jpg

dawn3.jpg

She just messaged me today, telling me the girl with the possible ear infection past away. She was gone sense yesterday with her son for day surgery, and she had past between when they left and today when they got home.

I might go see the other girl and see if how she acts if I think she will get along with my others I might get her so she isn't alone.

That is horrible.
I am very angry and upset that no one helped that poor little rattie girl

Edit for Joanne's benefit: I was not referring to the woman who took the two rats in
and was unable to pay for vet care while attempting to rehome them

Last edited:
The cousin had this choice:
1. Leave the rats to be tossed outside to fend on their own, or
2. Rescue them, knowing she did not have enough money to take them to the vet's.
Some people are living cheque to cheque, and that there is NO extra money, period. It is a cold, hard reality.
Would you have preferred she left them to die outside?
Yes we are all sad she died. It sucks.

So I may end up getting the lone girl. The owners that had the rats before her knew nothing about them, they got them for their kids who didn't like them and ignored them. When she got them they weren't in a cage much bigger then a hamster cage. So she made this one for them. It is sad that the girl didn't get help, but what ever was causing the spinning because it could have also been a tumor causing it, she isn't suffering anymore.

Also the other girl seems less stressed and is actually interacting with my cousin, so I am hoping she will fit in great here.

Update I am going to get the little lone girl tomorrow. I am hoping she is good and healthy. I will not be putting her with the others rat away until I get to see her personality and can properly introduce her to them.

Back