Treatment for lice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

Is there any other treatments for lice in rats other than revolution? I found lice on little Timmy earlier while I was helping him groom his lower half and since everyone uses the same free range area I have to treat all 23 rats to be safe..it will cost 100+ dollars to treat them all with revo..

There are probably other lice treatments like revolution, but aren't very well known to work on rats. Maybe talk to your vet about a payment plan or see your other options with treatments and their costs.

I really don't think there are many home remedies you can do for lice. Some people talk about bathing them with dawn dish soap, but I have never seen it to actually work fully.

I have treated about twice that number with revolution and it didn't cost anywhere near $100
You can use the dog revolution ... it is stronger so you would be using much less ... you would only need 1 or 2 tubes
You figure out the dose based on each rat's weight and apply with a needless 1 ml syringe so you can measure very small amounts like 0.03 mls

Last edited:
I have treated my babies with olive oil when they had lice, but only cause they were too little for meds. You could try it, but you might have to end up treating with meds anyways. It might be worth a shot. Other thing would be Ivermectin, but that probably not much cheaper than Revolution.

Last edited:
Vets treatment for pests on rats is ivermectin shots once a week for I think it was 4-6wks we tried it when our older girls had mites and it did nothing after 2 weeks so we went ahead and got the revolution online and treated everyone to be safe and saw improvements in 2-3 days with them...if I can get someone to help with the dosing of the dog one cause we used the up to 5lb one..

I know Revolution is very safe, but I hesitate to get the dog strength because they might need a dose of 0.01ml if they are little (200g), which is very difficult to do.
But, the cat tube has 0.75ml, so if the dose averaged out to 0.03ml a rat, it contains 25 doses.
The best way to use every drop of Revo is to get a 1cc syringe and a needle. Do not open the medication tube the normal way. Put the needle on the syringe and poke it through the plastic at the end of the tube of Revo. Draw up what you need for one dose, and remove the syringe, leaving the needle part in the tube of Revo. Dose your rat and then reattach the needle, drawing up more medication. Detach and medicate. Repeat. This way you can use up almost every last drop of medication.

Back