Perspex rat cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Area9Mongrel

Owner of the trouble makers
My rats live in this huge wire cage with plastic floor. I inherited it but also read that it was the best cage. My mum told me she heard a small animal vet on BBC radio 2 saying that bar cages made the rat feel like he was in prison and that Perspex should be used instead so they can see out of it and feel less confined.

I said I had been told that fish tanks can overheat a rat, although that might be glass and not Perspex, and that they can feel exposed in a tank but that some people have both a tank and a bar cage together so the rat can choose, but I'm still not convinced a rat feels anything negative in a bar and plastic cage.

Did anyone hear the original show? In any case, what's your opinion?

The widespread belief held here is that fresh air circulation is VERY important as rats are so prone to respiratory problems. We absolutely do recommend a wire cage as the best option. Rats do not know what 'jail' is anyway. That is a human thing. My rats feel safe in their cage. If they are scared, that is where they run to.
A huge wire cage with lots of levels and hammocks sounds wonderful!

I agree with Joanne... circulating air is very important. Our rats have very sensitive lungs, the fumes from their urine in a tank could cause quite the mycoplasmosis flare up.

Air circulation is extremely important.
A wire cage with a base of at least 30 in by 18 in and height with levels is very important.
It is also important to cover wire floors.
You can see ideas in the habitat section

I thought so, but I was confused as to why a vet would go on radio and say that. The prison thing really confused me haha.

Back