Critter nation stinky shelves

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

Yesterday was my big cage cleaning day. I love summer time cause I take everything outside scrub it down, rinse and power wash everything. I let everything dry in the sun. When everything was dry and ready to put back the odor that was coming off of he plastic shelves was crazy!!! The shelves are old. I've had my cage for 4 years now. Even though I have litter pans on my shelves we all know the rats aren't 100% litter trained.

What Can I do to change the plastic pans. Flowertown sells replacement shelves but I don't need the metal "rack" only the plastic shelf....I was thinking maybe coroplast.

Have you tried soaking them in anything? Like in hot water with soap and bleach, then rinsing them well and letting them dry?

If you are going to fully change them thought I think coroplast would be a good idea for them.

If you put them in the sun for a little bit on a flat surface ti will remove the odor. The air/sun is a natural odor remover.

I soaked them in soap hot water and javel. I'll do it again and leave them in the sun for a while to see if it helps.

And SQ, They're old shelves. Over 4 years old. I have a critter nation that I bought used. It's over 6 years old. I cleaned my cage regularly and I had thick covers on them. But pee is pee and plastic is plastic. Even for those who clean really well it does eventually need replacing.

The shelves are chewed also...I don't think a change will be a bad thing :)

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Back