Rocky 12/27/13 - 06/18/15

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

Rocky came home to Fred and I on August 28th, 2014.
He finally arrived at his forever home that day.
20140830_172755.jpg

From what I understand, he had been rescued by Peggy from a feeder breeder (who had spared him). I didn't find out till later that this was actually the same home that my girls had been rescued from.
He had a bit of a journey before he found himself in our home. He was a mean boy, so mean that Peggy had him neutered. After that, she had been trying to convince me to bring him home. ;)
I kept putting off adopting him, I was pretty engrossed with work and treating URIs in the girls. I drifted off of the Shack for awhile too.
The day I decided to log back on was the day that Rocky had been returned back to Peggy. He thought he had found a forever home, but unfortunately that fell through very quickly.
And I just knew. That he belonged with me, and that I had been given a second chance to bring him home. So we decided that he would be coming home. :)
1487344_1530186317236702_8324033261555926602_n.jpg

Peggy was on her way towards me, to save poor momma Astryd, so Rocky was hand delivered to me.
I vividly recall the moment I met him. We all sat down on my kitchen floor, he hopped off of Peggy and ran straight for me, climbed up and assumed his new favorite spot, my shoulder.
I fell for him instantly. Fred did, too.
11711_1530186350570032_8361890987287334968_n.jpg

Rocky had the amazing power to turn any person into a rat lover. Friends, family, anyone who came by - I would immediately show them Rocky. Some I didn't know were fearful of rats, like my brother. I plopped Rocky on his shoulder and didn't find out till later that he always thought rats were freaky. Rocky changed his mind. Rocky changed a lot of minds about how amazing rats can be.
10314490_1530186250570042_7116874920521113766_n.jpg

Fred was one of those people too. I think he had vowed to never truly get attached to another animal after we lost Oliver. He was never all too thrilled that I decided to keep rats, until Rocky. He loved when Rocky would sit on his shoulder. He would come watch Netflix with us in the ratroom on Sunday mornings, and Rocky would run from my shoulder to his, over and over. If Rocky had a choice, he'd often pick Fred's shoulder. I said it was because Fred's shoulder was bigger and roomier. c;
20150607_192726.jpg

Rocky was my first experience with intros.
I thought I was so prepared.
I thought intros between boys and girls were supposed to be the easiest, right?
Well, not with Rocky!
He was stubborn. He loved people, he didn't have much of an interest in being with other rats. He'd choose me or Fred a million times over the girls. Good lord, did those girls love him though. They swarmed him immediately, and were always his biggest fans.
It took me all of September and October to intro him.
Thank the rat gods for Jorats, she really helped me. I'm forever grateful, without her I don't think I could have done it.
November 1st he moved in with the girls.
20141102_075014_1.jpg

I was so relieved after that, all I wanted was for him to be in a happy, loving family. And they truly loved him.
6751e56e-9590-4abf-96e3-f98fd28f8245.jpg

Theia was always by his side, following him around both in and out of the cage.
551546_1530186283903372_8000186655899583822_n.jpg

Pika really blossomed into a more social rat after he was around. She began to explore more, play more. She had always been shy. She would even follow Rocky up my back and sit on my shoulder with him. I always loved having Pika on one shoulder, Rocky on the other.
64752_1529735333948467_7647223788515968273_n.jpg

Rizzy and Rocky weren't exactly best pals. They had their problems, they were both very "alpha". But they also clearly loved being by each other as I would often find them piled on top of each other.
20150112_191442_1.jpg

It was a whole lot of bliss for a while. I'd spend every waking second in the ratroom, Rocky on my shoulder, girls running laps around me.
I never wanted to leave that room, not for work or for sleep not to eat. I just loved the companionship. Rocky made me feel wanted, needed, loved.
Don't get me wrong, I have wonderful humans in my life that make me feel that way, too. But, it was different with Rocky. I could tell him all my secrets, or just completely forgot about them.
20150302_191327.jpg

I can't remember the first time I knew he was sick. The first vet was useless, anyway. I know the second vet visit was the very end of December, although that was useless, too. As was the third.
I won't spend this memorial recalling his illness, because I don't want too. But I will say that Rocky and I fought hard, we fought very very hard to spend as much time together as we possibly could.
I will always be thankful to Dr. Golan and to Dspch for helping us. I felt so blessed that Dr. Golan believed me that he was sick when I first brought Rocky to see her. It was such a struggle to get him diagnosed and treated.
He was a trooper throughout his illness. He took his meds well (and there were a lot of them!) but with one stipulation - I had to feed them to him off my finger.
I spent so much time, just dipping my fingers in all kinds of soft foods and holding them to my shoulder, waiting for him to lick it off.
He was strong and he held on for five weeks. Five weeks we had after diagnosis. Five weeks of getting up early and staying up late to deliver meds and soft foods. Five weeks of cuddling for every second we could. Five weeks of him laying in my arms and being pet. Five weeks were I wouldn't take him off my shoulder unless I was cooking, sleeping, showering or at work. Five weeks and hundreds of dollars and a whole lot of commitment.
And I would do it all again, I never would have stopped or ever given up if I could have. And I don't think he would have either, if he had a choice in the matter.
It was worth it. Every second of heartache, every dollar spent, every battle. It was worth it to have known Rocky even for the seemingly short time that I did.
20150411_175543.jpg

11046210_1530186223903378_8425965387629419838_n.jpg

Rocky passed away in my arms in the car outside of the vet clinic.
He wanted to go on his own terms, and he did. He even waited for Fred to get out of the driver's seat and into the back with us. I'm happy that he left this world with us, stroking him and telling him how much he was loved.
We let the girls say goodbye, and we kept our promise that he was home and he wasn't ever going to be leaving home.
He is buried with Oliver and Fizzy, right outside our bedroom window. He is home, he will always be home and he will always be loved and remembered.
20150618_151258.jpg

20150618_151310.jpg

"In memory of a faithful friend & companion"

I still don't feel right without him.
I still miss him, all the time.
I still look for him in the cage, and I still feel him on my shoulder.
Rocky was amazing. He was loving and sweet and smart. He was loyal, and all he wanted was to just be close. He was so happy to simply sit on a shoulder until it was time to go.
He was loved, dearly. Not just by Fred and I, but by Peggy, my brother, my friends, many users here on the Shack.
Every second was amazing, and I would never ever give that up, no matter how much I hurt now.
Rocky fed my passion to provide the very best home I could for rats. He inspired me and proved to me that rescuing is 100%, without a doubt, worth it.
20141117_203324.jpg

I love you, Rocky.
I always will. You will never be forgotten and you will always be missed. I will feel your weight on my shoulder forever. You taught me so many things and I will never forget them. You were a friend when I had no others and you kept me company when I was lonely. You broke my heart when you left me, but only because you had filled it with so much love. Thank you for everything you gave me.

1607095_1530186337236700_2903138583995173394_n.jpg

RIP Rocky, you are sorely missed. :heart:

What a beautiful and deeply loving memorial. That pain always comes from loving so deeply. He was a very special boy. Looking at his pictures, he lived the life of Riley! He truly did. He couldn't want for a better life, or a loving friend when he needed it most. Thank god he found his true home with you and Fred and his ladies. Eventually he found his way home.

Thinking of you. Thank you for sharing about his wonderful life and his beautiful little personality. I would of loved to of met him and had him on my shoulder! xx

This made me cry. Rocky was such a spunky brat :) He was actually a surprise. I agreed to momma and her babies but then they showed me Rocky in the little bin carrier by himself, he was hand raised (fed) by the woman but she had girls and couldnt keep him. So when I said I would take momma, they figured I wouldnt say no to him. They were right. he was always amazing to humans the sweetest boy ever but his hormones made him rub and angry

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVlNI89fFUI[/ame]

he was in a brand new bin cage LOL no other rat but him was in it. This was the night before surgery. He really was a special personality. You could trust him on the floor, he wouldnt run off, he just loved to be with humans. It made my day when you took him, I knew he would be loved. So thank you and Fred for opening your home to him and providing him his happily ever after.

I really loved reading your memorial for Rocky. We all have our favourites, but he sounds extra special. He gave back all the love he got and so much more. In exchange for the best forever home, he turned many doubters into rat lovers. What a wonderful legacy to leave behind. :heart:
Safe journey to the Bridge Rocky...

:rose3: RIP Rocky ....

Glad Rocky was able to find his forever home and friends. Play hard at the bridge sweet boy...

Back