Quick intro help for old girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrol

I have a 3 year old girl. She lived with 17 friends from 6 weeks on. We lost 3 girls in the last few months and now she is alone. I have 2 neutered males, Darwin she gets along with and Stein she is terrified of for no apparent reason. So I've been alternating were Darwin lives. One day with Kira, next with Stein. But when he's not with her she walks in circles, chews on the cage wire and doesn't come for treats.

I found two 3 year old girls and two 2 year old girls that I want her to live with after they are vet checked. Previously I've done intros slow, over weeks or months even. But she needs a buddy. With Darwin I just put them in the same cage and they were fine, but they've been living in the same room side by side for 2 years.

Is there a way to fast track for her mental sanity?

With 3 year olds, I would try to just add them together after a cage scrub down.
Have you tried to do slow intros with Stein?

Ok. Thank you. With Stein, yes I've tried really slow intro's. But has soon as he's around her she hides, squeals, and stands up like a bear when anyone else goes near her and bites. Darwin and him get along so I'll just leave it be. It would be easier to have them all live together I think but oh well.

Two of the girls just came and one has patchy fur. On her legs and a couple spots on her back, it looks like she was shaved. The owner had them at the vet and he said it was from stress. Does that sound accurate? She also has a curly tail.

I have a young rat that does that. I call him "Nimbus Shave-Arms" because he chews the fur off his arms... I know my guy is not stressed and just does it because he is weird. XD

It looks like barbering. That's when they chew themselves excessively. I had one rat do it his entire life, so much so his skin was raw. She's adorable!
I hope the intro's go well. Perhaps with the two new girls coming in you could try everybody together. There would be a different dynamic so Kira might not react the same.

Her front legs look like barbering, which is usually caused by stress
But I don't know about the large patch on her back

Personally, I would follow the intro steps and they would likely go quickly, depending upon personalities
I always intro everyone at once, as Joanne suggested
all the best with the intros

Last edited:
That's great! I wouldn't worry about the patchy parts either, probably barbering...unless you see scabs, then it could be mites.

Back