Young rat given to wildlife rescue?! HELP and advice needed! :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tayla

Not sure if this is in the correct section?! But I am desperate in some help and advice! I run a wildlife rescue in UK, Kent... Mainly hedgehogs but today a family friend came to me with a young (around 1 week, weighing 11g but looks quite underweight) domestic rat she'd found in an alley way?! He had some dried blood around his nose and mouth, I'm not sure if these are cuts or from his nose as I know rats can suffer with upper respiratory problems? He is also 'clicking' slightly when breathing occasionally after research I suspect he has pneumonia?? I have medication here for the various wildlife injuries/illnesses but what antibiotics are safe for young rats and what are the dosages?
I'm not experienced with rats at all but obviously am used to hand rearing animals (hoglets and birds mainly), so knew to get him in to the warmth, toilet him and get some fluids into him.. I have fed him rehydration fluids (critical care) and esbilac (what we use for hoglets) about 1ml? he's taking it well and I have been researching as much as I can! But still have questions.. Should he be on 2 hourly feeds? What is normal behaviour? How many ml should he be drinking each feed?
Sorry for rambling so much! I really want to give this little one the best chance at surviving and know that forums are usually the best place to come... ANY help will be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi Tayla,

The dried blood may be porphrin not blood and its presence would indicate stress or illness
Clavamox (same family as amoxicillin but more broad spectrum, I believe my vet prescribes it at 10mg/454.4g of rat, although an online site suggests 6.25 mg/454,4g) is good, especially for secondary infections which will kill rats fast

Azithromycin (my vet prescribes it at 10 mg/Ib or 10 mg/454.5g, although dose is 5mg to 15 mg/454.4g) orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it is helping, it is good too and effective with babies
It is for human infants and I get it from a pharmacy by prescription from my vet.
It comes as a powder that is mixed up to create a liquid

=========================================

As for the baby you found, the best thing you can do is to find a nursing mama rat or mouse (with her litter)
asap ....
remove the mama, make the baby smell like the other babies, add the baby back into the nest and then return mama
It is unlikely (almost impossible) that a baby that young will survive unless you find the baby an adoptive mama
You can hand feed ... organic soy human infant formula is the closest thing to a mama rats milk
You will need to stimulate the baby to eliminate by gently rubbing a warm damp cotton ball or cloth on its abdomen and bottom,
otherwise it will not eliminate and will die

Here are some links that will give you the info you need, including feeding charts
This first link gives essential info on how to mix the first few feedings and what to do if there is diarrhea etc so the baby will not die
http://ratfanclub.org/orphans.html
http://www.afrma.org/orphanrm.htm
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

good luck
and please keep us updated .... I am going to go look for another link for you

Last edited:
"new modeling paint brushes are a better feeding device than syringes. The paint brushes allow the baby to more easily suckle and take the formula at their own pace. If paint brushes are not available, you can use the corner of a clean cloth dipped in the formula."

Here is a link about orphaned baby wild mice. While it is about mice, it contains helpful info that also applies to baby rats
http://mouseranch.com/FYI/orphans.shtml

Caution: Pet stores etc will likely use the baby as food for other animals so while you could try to get a nursing mama & litter from them, you would not want to place the baby with them

You may be able to find a breeder with a nursing mama that will allow you to add the baby since it is domestic (but not a feeder breeder as they will kill the baby) or who will sell or allow you to borrow a nursing mama and her litter.

I hope the baby makes it
Thank you for doing your best to give the baby a chance

Last edited:
Thank you for all the supportive advice! Update!... He made it through the night [emoji5]️ after gentle cleaning the dried blood I've found two tiny lesions, on his lip and on his nose (I'm not 100% it's not coming from his nose but am more sure now) after further research i also think he is older than 1 week.. I'm thinking 9-10 days old? I forgot to mention the feeding method... I've been using a 1ml syringe with a cannula on the tip as this is what we use for newborn hoglets, but I will try to order a pain brush asap.. Any particular type?? He is a lot more active now and is holding the tip of the cannula when feeding. I will try and contact some breeders today but I'm sure they're aren't any that are particularly 'local' but will try and at least get some advice! Again thank you so much this advice has helped a lot! [emoji5]️ will try to post a picture soon!

If he is doing fine with the cannula he may be OK to continue. The main worry, as you know, is to make sure they don't aspirate the formula. He may be old enough to be alright. Just don't get any up his nose.
I'm glad he made it through the night! Is he still making that clicking sound when breathing? Does he seem like he's breathing normally?

I have been making sure to avoid any liquid going near his nose, especially since he has a sore there :) & he has stopped the clicking sound and is breathing fine, he was quite cold when we came in so maybe that was affecting his breathing..

be4ab5835cd582a084a9ec008caf35fc.jpg

Oh that sweet fuzzy little rattie. I can't bear the thought of him all cold and hungry! Thank god he's got such a lovely, kind hearted, generous person like you taking the very best of care of him! He sounds like a little fighter. I'm routing for you guys all the way from England! Keep us posted!

I know he is adorable & definitely is getting stronger each feed!, thank you so much! I know it's heartbreaking, and what saddens me more is that it was bin collection that day so him being thrown away would explain how he managed to get outside:(! I will keep up with the updates, don't worry! What do you think his age is? I was thinking 9-10 days old??

It looks like your guesstimate is close. From the markings though, he looks domestic, not wild. It is horrible to think all the rest of the babies were probably thrown in the garbage to die.

Yes the baby is a sweet little pet rat
How horrible to think that he was thrown away in the garbage and his siblings are likely dead :(

btw, if the hair on his underbelly isn't/wasn't thick you might have noticed if he had any red dots
girls have approx. 12 nipples which are visible just before their hair grows in, while boys only have a belly button

Eyes open at about 14 days so it will not be much longer

I know[emoji17] if only people knew there was help if they couldn't deal with unwanted litters etc.. & Nope.. No nipples! I did assume he was a 'he' from his genitals anyway. His hair seems to be longer/fluffier and thinner in other 'patches', is this normal?? He's just got the hang of toileting now and practically sticks him bum in the air for me[emoji5]️!

pet rats can have a fair amount of variation in type of coat so I am sure it is normal.
If you find that he is scratching a lot or develops scabs, let us know

As you are likely aware, bedding needs to be frozen for 48 to 36 hours after purchase to kill any parasites that may be in it

Looking forward to a lot more pics

he made it through night 2![emoji5]️ and exciting update! His eyes have opened! Well.. 'Eye' atm [emoji23]! I guess he is a bit older than we think, maybe the runt or just smaller because of his time with no food or warmth? Thank you for advice again! & yes I am aware of parasites etc. we usually do this for the very young hoglets anyway! Will post some more pics soon!!

Question! What is normal behaviour for him at this age?... I've noticed him shaking his head (at a fast speed) for about a second or two every so often? Is this normal or something i should worry about? Also how should he be acting at each feed? He's so enthusiastic at the beginning of each feed, does this mean his really hungry or is this normal? He's been fed at least every 3 hours but I will normally feed him in between these feeds when I check on him... He has also developed a black/brown tip to his tail, it was already half pink and half the brownish black colour, I thought he had a bruise at first as it did look a bit purple.. Has darkened now and looks the same as his other markings... Again is this normal? Sorry for all the questions everyone has just been so helpful on here[emoji5]️

Last edited:
I think if he is enthusiastic about his feedings that is a very good thing. As babies, they can nurse at will as long as mom is around, so three hours may seem like a long time to him.
I'm not sure about the head shaking - would you be able to post a video of it?
If his colour is changing, that is OK as long as the area looks normal. So as long as you don't suspect the tail is starting to get necrotic, that should be fine.
Can't wait to see his peepers!

Thank you! Any feedback really helps... Good! & yes I will next time I spot him doing it, & his tail all looks completely fine and healthy, just the darkening of the tip[emoji5]️, I will post pictures soon don't worry! He's looking a bit scruffy at the moment as some of his hair is quite long and other bits are short, he also has some areas that are slightly 'crispy?!' (Can't think of the correct term) I suspect some of his formula has gotten on there but I can't seem to get it off?, I've tried using a q-tip with warm water but nothing's changing.. Anything else I could use?.. Thank you! Also both of his eyes are open now! He's looking very cute[emoji173]️

Back