Rat was clicking...now is intensly weezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velzy

Hey all,

Getting straight to the point, Louise (Female, 2.5+ y/o) started making clicking noises yesterday with every breath. This got me very worried, but she was still eating, drinking and playing with my other rat just like normal. I didn't want to panic, so I let her be overnight, hoping maybe she might get better. That was not the case when I went to let them out this morning. She is weezing intensly, walking slightly lopsided, and not even going for peas (she loves peas). Unfortunately, I won't have enough money to see a vet until next Friday. I'm worried she won't make it until then, and I really don't want her to suffer. I know I shouldn't have pets I can't afford to take care of properly, but I sort of rescued them from a friend, so it is what it is.

Any advice is welcome. I really feel like this is the end for her. She's been sick before, but never like this. I'm kind of freaking out, she seemed perfectly fine 2 days ago...

I uploaded a video of her breathing
http://youtu.be/5ZLdlXM01As

EDIT: Just go back from the vet, got prescribed bactrim and doxycycline for both my girls. Hope she can bounce back

Last edited:
Would you vet let you have an appointment today and pay what you could and then pay the rest next Friday?

I can't watch the video because I'm at work but antibiotics and possibly a dose of lasix or a steroid could save her. I highly doubt by what you've described that she will make it a week and even if she does it would be very painful. If nothing else she should be humanely euthanized.

Do you have any friends or family who would be willing to loan you the money?

She needs to see a vet and be put on antibiotics now, today!
Rats become ill and die fast
You need to take her in to see a good rat vet today - tell them it is an emergency and take her in even if they say they can't give you an appointment

So you will need to borrow money, use a credit card, get an advance, or put down a deposit and work out a payment plan with your vet

She looks and sounds like she is gasping as she tries to breath
I would suggest she be put on baytril and azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, usually by vet prescription from a pharmacy) orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it helps
Injections of dex might help her to breath as well, in the next few days as you wait for the antibiotics to make a difference
If she has fluid in her lungs she will also need Lasix - but then there will be a danger of dehydration so you will need to monitor her

(When you see a vet, get them to show you how to give sub-Q fluids and sell you what you will need to do it)
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5076
Test for dehydration by pulling up on the skin on the back of her neck and see if it snaps back into place. If it doesn't, she is likely dehydrated.
If dehydrated she can be syringe fed fluids but you put it into the side of her mouth one drop at a time so it doesn't go down into her lungs

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I got someone lined up to lend me the money, and am currently looking for a vet who can see her today. Hoping for the best...

Or else she needs to see a vet today and be humanely put to sleep
Otherwise she will suffer horribly as she dies struggling to breath

So you need to borrow etc money or make arrangements with a vet immediately because she needs a good vet, who knows how to treat rats, now

- Most vets do not know how to put rats to sleep humanely so you will need to make sure it is done properly See http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

She will need to be given the isofluorane gas-oxygen mix that is used to put animals under for surgery.
When she is deeply unconscious (vet checks to make sure there are no reflexes), then she needs to be injected with the correct dosage of sodium pentobarbital, using a 27 - 29 gauge needle.
The vet will inject the sodium pentobarbital into her heart or abdomen.
The important thing is that she is deeply unconscious, as deep or deeper then she would be for surgery, so that she does not suffer.
Your girl will need to continue to breath in the gas-oxygen mix and needs to stay unconscious until she dies.

If possible, you need to be with your rat to comfort her and to make sure it is done properly.
Never allow a conscious rat to be injected.

There is no way to humanely put a rat to sleep at home.
There is no way to do it humanely unless it is done by a vet.

I hope that you will not need to have her put to sleep,
that she is put on meds immediately and that she is soon feeling better

good luck

Back