Peanut URI/UTI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

So the nutman sounds whistly and junky again to me. His winky is still stinky too, but I think that is from his plugs and laying in his pee. I'm going to take him off the fleece and put him back on liter ao hopefully that will soak up the urine. He is getting daily "winky baths" - just water.

So this is what I have on hand so I need to know what I can give him for his possible URI and a dose. He weighs 706 grams

Doxy 50 mg/ml in a 15 ml bottle

Azithromycin - bottle says 2 tabs in 8 ml formulated to 62.5 mg/ml

Baytril - 100 mg/ml in 10 ml bottle

Thanks

Last edited:
I always calculate a range based on the lowest and highest dosing.
Baytril:
10mg/kg <------>10mg/lb
7.06mg <-------->15.532mg
So the dosing range is: 0.07ml <-----> 0.15ml

Doxy:
5.5mg/kg<----->11mg/kg
3.883mg <----->7.766mg
So the dosing range is: 0.08ml<----->0.16ml

I'm not sure about the Zithro...

Ok, looked it up in the Rat Guide...
Azithromycin:
15mg/kg<----->30mg/kg. note: once a day, not twice
10.59mg<----->21.18mg
So the dosing range would be: 0.17ml<----->0.34ml ONCE a day

Thanks, should I give all three or a combo of two? He's been on doxy and baytril until about a week ago, but his doses were wrong since he's lost weight

Weird
My vet phones in a prescription to the pharmacy for azithromycin.
It is a pediatric liquid prescription

The dose for azithromycin is 5 mg/Ib (5 mg/454.4g) to 15 mg/Ib (15mg/454.4 g), orally, TWICE a day
I always give 10 mg/Ib twice a day and find it works well with baytril
Regardless of what Joanne found in the rat guide, azithromycin is given twice a day

At the mid dose of 10 mg/Ib, he would get 0.25 ml of azithromycin twice a day
(706g/454.4g x 10 mg/454.4g = 15.5 mg. 62.4 x 0.25 = 15.6mg)

Last edited:
My guy Toby was on a Baytril/Doxy combo, and he became resistant so my vet recommended dropping the Baytril, and overlapping the Doxy and Zithro for five days, then dropping the Doxy and just going with the Zithro. His symptoms have finally cleared up again. He still has another couple of weeks on the Zithro.

Thanks again, I started doxy/zithro his am. Do you think its bad to split the zithro dose? Since it seems to be so much at once we've been giving half in the am and half at night.

We do, one med in am and one in pm. It just seemed like a lot all at once, buy most of our boys/girls are being cooperative.

Nutman will be heading to the vet tomorrow. Came home from work today and found him shacking up with Sonoma in the cozy elephant. Thanks to help from Petunia I will be making him special hammocks and stuff tonight using diaper cloth as inner liners to hopefully absorb the urine so he's not laying in it as much.

Nutman will be heading to the vet tomorrow. Came home from work today and found him shacking up with Sonoma in the cozy elephant. Thanks to help from Petunia I will be making him special hammocks and stuff tonight using diaper cloth as inner liners to hopefully absorb the urine so he's not laying in it as much.
What a great idea! Would it be possible to make disposable hammocks with disposable diapers? Just poke the hook through the diaper at each corner. Or would the ratties destroy them?

I'm sure they would destory them and would enjoy pulling out the cotton.

He does have urine burns starting. He will get two baths a day now, below the waist. He was also "manscaped" aka: shaved in his manly area with the hope that with the fur gone it will not stay wet in that area as it did with the "wet" fur.

So the Nutman isn't doing his best. He's been losing weight fast - very fast! He's been swatting at his head and nose a lot too it seems. Last night I had him out so he could eat and while eating a small bowl of baby food he kept stopping to shake his head. I keep thinking I see PT signs, but then he uses his paws.

He was at the vet today for his acupuncture and his daddy was suppose to ask about this stuff, but forgot. Vet did find that he has wax in his ears and removed it. So hopefully that will resolve the head shaking/banging.

I think its time to remove the girls and see if nutman puts on weight. Who would of thought I'd be worried about him, my previously 1104 gram coconut, needing to gain weight!

Unfortunately, a lot of times your gut feeling is right.
The first thing that clued me in to my Dixie's PT was her excessive weight loss.
How about a video of him eating?

Awww ~ I hope the Nutman starts to feel better & puts on some weight soon.

Tell him he is now considred "metrosexual", due to the shaving of the manly area. The rat ladies might like this :wink2: ...and maybe stop stealing his food.

Unfortunately, a lot of times your gut feeling is right.
The first thing that clued me in to my Dixie's PT was her excessive weight loss.
How about a video of him eating?

We had him out again the other night and he ate about an inch of banana, three tiny bowls of sweet potato baby food, the inside of a small banana muffin, and some oatmeal baby food. He probably would of ate more sweet potato, but I cut him off after he "orange" pooped on me....

Back