Not PT/Their mom has thyroid problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While genetics may be one factor in the development of pt, there are many other factors.

It is thought that estrogen is the cause of some types of pt, thus spaying females may help to prevent these types of pt.
Neutering males does not prevent pt.

A healthy diet will reduce the risk of pt.
See the link below for more info.

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php

Thanks SQ, my females are spayed as I have boys with gonads and I feel they definitely benefit more. As much as I'd love little babies that will not be happening here.

I would try and avoid all anesthesia at this point. That is what seems to be the worst trigger for progressing PT.
But I do want to mention that I've always kept siblings and when one died of PT, the siblings did not. So it's not really a good indicator that yours will necessarily have it.

I forgot about that anesthesia thing. I had a daddy and two of his son get PT so I'm not as optimistic as you. It scares me to death!

Their mom has been diagnosised with Primary hyperparathyroidism and her owner has been told there is nothing they can do for this... She has extremely high calcuim levels. Normally they would remove the thyroid, but in a rat that is not an option since its too small.

Last edited:
They told her there was nothing they could do and to basically take her home on "hospice" care - that is the actual words used.

I was hoping someone could suggest something.

Yes, they were checking for kidney disease and found the high calcium. Don't know what else was tested. Sounds like they did a complete blood screen.

I should probably mention their vegan so her rats eat mostly fruits/veggies/oxbow

So they are just going by high calcium in her blood? That can also mean kidney disease. How old is mom?
The fact that this rat ate a very healthy diet probably has nothing to do with her condition.

So they are just going by high calcium in her blood? That can also mean kidney disease. How old is mom?
The fact that this rat ate a very healthy diet probably has nothing to do with her condition.

I was more pointing out that she had a healthy diet so it probably didn't cause the condition. She is feed very well... She is about a year and a half I think.

Back