Possible subdural hematoma/stroke?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raticate

My rat Splinter was fine, then one day as I was feeding him he leaned too far and fell from the top of my double critter nation, hit his food bin (a plastic container for storage) and landed on the ground.. He didn't make any noise, he just sat there for a minute.. I scooped him up and put him back in his cage and everything was seemingly fine.. He seemed fine the next day, and even the next day..

Then he was hanging out in his hammock with his brother Wedge and I hear him squeak/screaming so I rush over there and have my roommate grab Wedge and I grabbed Splinter and they both seemed fine, then as I was holding him he started to squeak/scream again so I quick put him down in the cage, thinking it was me touching him and hurting him possibly. Then I was petting him and I rubbed his belly and he did the noises again.. I was very upset but I left him alone for a little while and went back later.

He had suddenly started leaning hardcore to one side, like unable to stand properly.. His head had started to shake uncontrollably. He fell again (this time only from the shelf to the bottom - i have then in half of my DCN with both shelves in one half so it is less of a fall from each level) while I was sleeping and it woke up me, I think he must have been trying to walk down his ramp and the fact that he can't really walk well he must have rolled off the edge. He didn't cry out or anything but I immediately took all the ramps and shelves out of the cage so he could never fall again.

Now he is so leany that he rolls over when he tries to walk sometimes and his head still shakes uncontrollably. I plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow but I fear the worst. I did give him a couple days to see if it was something that would go away, but it has not gone away and I feel terrible for not taking him in sooner. I did buy infant ibuprofen and gave him some using a dosage guide I found in the forums.

If he has a subdural hematoma, is that something the can be cured? What about a stroke?

I am so worried.

Last edited:
I should mention Splinter is eating just fine and drinking water just fine.. But he sleeps a lot (in really horrifying ways that make me think he might be dead) and he lays around a lot.

It sounds like your boy has a severe inner ear infection (probably caused him to fall in the first place). He needs strong antibiotics and possibly steroids OR pain/antiinflammatory medication like metacam.

He fell the first time I think because he is very greedy and over-anxious about food. He wasn't showing any signs of any ailment till after that first fall. Now he can barely walk he is so wobbly. I'm taking him to the vet now.

Vet thinks he has neurological issues, but has decided we will try to treat anything that might be wrong. Has Splinter on 0.4ml of Metacam once a day for 5 days and instead of Baytril she has decided to go with Sulfatrim 0.4ml of that twice a day for 10 days. I really hope to see improvement. I just feel better knowing that I am trying.

If the meds help, Splinter will need to be on them longer then 10 days.
Inner ear infections take weeks (or sometimes months) to be healed .... most treat for at least 4 weeks

Hope he is soon feeling better

Update. Things haven't changed much, but I think I've noticed him walking a little better? He is still leaning hardcore but it might be improving a little as I don't notice him rolling over as he struggles to walk anymore really. I'm somewhat worried he might be blind or have mega vision problems though... When I try to hand feed him his head goes crazy back and forth, it seems almost as if he can't focus on where the food is and is maybe smelling out its location? Hard to tell. Still hoping for the best. Been giving him lots of snuggles and love. I think Wedge is getting jealous lol, but not really. I am guilty of focusing more on Splinter lately but I realized I was doing it and have been showing love to Wedge more too.

Sometimes when a rat gets inner ear infection, they become manic, with all these rapid movements and crazy head waving. Unfortunately even if you cure the deep infection, the manic state stays the same. You are now the proud owner of what I call a manic tiltie. Lol

One of my nakie girls, Dixie, had this frantic head waving when I rescued her. I put her on meds for a couple of weeks to see if it was an untreated ear infection, but it never changed. She was with me for quite a while - the head-waving never did change, but she did fine with it, just had to be careful she didn't fall off things.
:)

Back