When to debate rehome?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Whiskers

At what point does one consider a rehome?

As some of you know, I'm moving soon. I had multiple back-ups plans to avoid ending up on my own and in a studio apartment. But here I am.

Now, while there are some space/safety concerns---I am sure I can manage, at least until the ladies pass on in a year or two. It's not ideal and of course it could always be that the parrot just will not tolerate the ladies being in the same space (which will result in excess noise and I can't risk eviction)/they react badly respiratory-wise to being in such a small space close to the bird...but if that's not a problem the ladies can stay.

My bigger question is that....on my own I feel like I cannot give them the quality of life I want for them and at a certain point my budget will not stretch to accommodate every medical need. Of course, they have a clean critter nation and fresh food and oxbow and plenty of hammocks etc. They get an hour or so out every night. They have and always will have prompt medical attention for anything respiratory or little things. But I get worried as they age.

What about tumours or spays or PT's? I'll be honest---between the ladies and the parrot...I don't know if I could do it all if it all came down to it and the parrot will always come first.
I don't want the ladies to die because I couldn't afford a simple tumor removal. I don't want them to die because I can't afford to try treat a PT long-term. Of course, if it all didn't happen at once or if I didn't have the parrot and would treating one girl at a time probably wouldn't be a problem...but of course, that's not how life works.

I guess long story short I feel a lot of the time they should go to someone who has more to give. Not that they're suffering or being neglected or anything...but I want for them to be able to have tumours removed, be spayed if needed...things like that.

I feel like I'm a bad rat guardian because I don't know if I'll be able to provide them all that due to life changes. I'd much rather they be with someone who could.

(To be fair---there is also a lot of other factors going on here. My mother's heart failure is iffy at best and she would like me to travel more to see her---packing the four rats, lizard, parrot is a lot). I'll be starting full-time university in the fall. I am now on my own completely without roommates and don't know exactly how I'm going to manage that with a disability---which means I might/most probably will be looking at having to re-prioritize my energy and time. I don't have anyone to come watch all the critters and boarding them all for 3 nights will run me $250...and travel/being hospitalized is a possibility for me. Add that to vet bills and...I worry.)

Last edited:
Sometimes life doesn't go the way we plan. And its better to know that you're doing the best thing for the girls. I had to make this same tough choice when I went through a rough time in my relationship where I wasn't living where they were and wasn't steadily employed to support so many.

Thank you Sterling.

In my gut, in my heart---I feel like it would be best for both them, me, the parrot...everyone involved for them to find loving new homes with rat-experienced people.
I just get scared...I don't want to end up being duped by some shady reptile person, I don't want someone who has a good heart but no resources, or for them to get bounced around.
I've looked at my local vet, asked their clients, asked my rat-keeping friends (who asked their rat-keeping people)...nothing.
I love that so many of the people on here are nutty about their rats...I wish I could find local people like that for the girls.

I think in the end what matters is that they have a loving home which is a lot more than most animals have. I understand being overwhelmed but imo I wouldn't consider rehoming until I could no longer afford to feed them.

That is also another point to consider, it is true. They've got love and food for sure. It's never a question of 'oh gods I can't meet their basic needs' but rather 'can I do everyone's medical bills (and other associated expenses---boarding etc) with my life circumstances having changed?'

But I have to admit to me it's a little dangerous to keep assuming with two nakies and two 'getting up there in years' furry girls that everything will be ok minus no medical bills, instead of letting them go to a good home that can give them that food and love plus take care of whatever bigger medical expenses they may have. It's going to happen that they will have bigger issues like tumours etc, it always does.

I think the best thing is take your time and weigh your options. Also an adoption fee far above your local feeder prices is a must. That at least lowers the risk of them going to a feeder or home that could not afford them.
Love and food is great but sometimes it isn't enough in your own heart. You have to do what YOU feel is the best option. If I couldn't give them attention or they were at higher risk of becoming sick because of living conditions I would weigh that as love and food not being enough to ensure quality of life. Each person has their belief and feelings. You have to decide where you sit.

that's a very difficult decision and in the end, you have to do what you feel is best
and what you can live with
if you are going to rehome them, I'd insist on a situation where you get to photos and updates to know that they are doing ok
I have two boys now that were rehomed to me with that provision and I'm more than happy to keep their former family up to date, and to even include them in health care decisions

are you on FaceBook at all? We have a lot of pages/groups for ppl who love rats and who live in the same area, and in this way, I am meeting more and more ppl who care for their rats with the same intensity as I/we do, and we are offering to help each other out, and be available for rat sitting or even re homing when needed

that may be an option for you. You def want to start looking right away, so try to connect, either via social media or thru a local rescue, etc with others who are crazy about rats, so if re homing is what you decide on, you could have much better options than you do know
and you may be able to find someone who can help you out in other ways.

good luck whatever you decide, I know it's a heart wrenching decision

Thanks everyone.

I think as of late it just hit home for me. My health is (as always) questionable, my mother's health is variable, I'm starting over with nothing (nearly all of the things in the apartment were bought by my roommate who is actually my ex---I've no pots, no plates, no pans, no towels, maybe some cutlery)...so many things just made me wonder if it was best for the girls to stay with me, mostly due to finances (for their vet bills) and for safety and space concerns as well as trying to minimize potential issues like finding boarding if I have medical issues or something. I kept trying to tell myself that 'so long as I stick to this tight daily schedule and nothing goes wrong everything will be fine and I can manage'. Which of course is not how it works even for people without disabilities. Sometimes the weather changes and I become literally incapacitated with headaches due to my hydrocephalus. Sometimes my body just wears out on me and I can't even move.
Which means...yeah right I'm going to be able to stick to that schedule.

I LOVE the girls so much. I really do. But I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them and I couldn't afford to pay to fix it OR it happened because of the living situation (space, bird, dust etc) that I've put them in.

The more I think about it---the more they deserve so much better and the better and smarter it would be for everyone long-term for them go to a new home.

Petunia---yes, I am on facebook. Do you know any rat groups in my area?

Petunia---yes, I am on facebook. Do you know any rat groups in my area?

no I just search for those in my area. but if you put the name of your city or county etc in the seach bar and add the word rats, generally some options will pop up

also ask some other Canadians, I'm in the US

Try also some larger international rat groups and then ask for ppl in your area to connect with you etc

Last edited:
Back