Honey respiratory infection back with a vengeance 2 days after finishing antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

Honey just finished her 3rd-4th dose of antibiotics I have kinda lost track at this point but I know it is one of the 2..... She is over 2yrs old and she has an appointment thursday morning (vet isn't in on wednesdays) I went ahead and gave her doxy and her sides are sucked in so I think she is in pain somehow....How much motrin can I give her and is it safe to give her with the doxy? she weighs 397 grams the motrin is 50mg per 1.25ml....She sounds like a dull whistle and she keep sneezing greenish stuff....Another thing my daughter just pointed out to me is that her face is swollen a bit..

Last edited:
Hopefully she makes it to thursday morning....so frustrating that this is exactly what happened with moose is he got sick the day the vet was closed and her the day before now....She is resting under dads blanket :) he is her favorite and vise versa haha...What combo should I try? doxy and baytril? and 3 weeks worth sounds good to me. Just hope the vet agrees cause I don't wanna butt heads with her again like I did when moose was sick but I will if I need to! I am going try some dark chocolate to see if that helps and I have the stuff if I need to give her fluids again something I learned from moose being ill...I don't know if I can do this 20 more times but if I have to then that is how it will be..I am now convinced all my rats are going to die horrible deaths though I really hope we don't lose Honey yet after Moose I am not going to get my hopes up again..I know that is wrong but I just can't help it.

Ok she drank a couple a drops of water off my finger and then went right back to being uninterested so I gave her more applesauce which she gobbled up and I also gave her a small piece of dark chocolate....Hopefully that will help her enough to get some rest atleast

Try to get meds tomorrow
I would suggest baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib), orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks
Azithromycin is by a vet's prescription from a pharmacy, and the vet will need to prescribe several refills
because it is only good for 10 days or so once it is mixed up
People frequently divide the powder in half and mix up one have a bottle at a time so it is not wasted.

Does she sound congested?

As for the greenish stuff and swollen face, do you think she might have something else going on in addition to a respiratory infection?
Maybe an facial abscess? ... if so she would need something like chloramphenicol palmitate (and possibly surgery)

EDIT: baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) + doxy, for 6 weeks is a good combo for respir. too, if others fail

Last edited:
I missed the sneezing of the greenish stuff and swollen face.

Carefully smell all around her head, and especially her mouth for a nasty infected smell. If you aren't sure close your eyes and just try to detect a faint difference

Well I am not giving her chocolate again that is for sure...not even 30 minutes after I gave it to her she started gasping for air and continue for about an hour and a half...Scared the living crap out of me but she is seeming better now and had some more apple sauce and some pear and blueberry baby food...I will try and sniff her later cause right now she smells like what she was just eating haha. A very nice acquaintance brought her over some doxy,baytril and amoxi and some baby food and baby cereal..She is still going to the vet thursday of course but she needs treatment now and not a day and a half from now..I can't get meds filled unless they have been prescribed before to the ratty without the vet seeing her..I tried this last time and all they would give me is baytril because that is what she has had before and it took them forever to figure the dose because the vet wasn't there to do it for them...Is she ok to have all 3 antibiotics? or should I just keep it to the doxy and baytril until we can see the vet? I won't do nothing like I did with moose...I just can't :(

Still not feeling any better this morning...I think we have officially lost interest in eating and drinking :( She is in her igloo being tended to by Hope....I tried smelling her last night but my sinuses are stuffed so my smell isn't that great right now..I thought I caught a wiff of spoiled milk but that could be a side affect of feeding the baby bird that nasty mixture that smells horrid haha...I bought a nebulizer but it won't be here till friday so that is of no use right now...Hope is covering her right now with paper towels so not sure how much longer she has though if this is her final hours I am glad Hope could look after her :)

I haven't seen any movement from Honey inside the igloo for awhile now..honestly I am scared of what I might find if I look and also I don't hear any harsh sounds so if she is resting and breathing semi comfortably then I don't wanna wake her and make her start having trouble again....I really do hate this sooo much but she is worth it all :)

Chocolate creates mucus so I wouldn't do dark chocolate, it will only make it worse. She really needs a good combo of antibiotics like baytril and zithro for 4 weeks or more.

She is straight refusing anything now food or water...her face looks swollen even her eyes are only half open...Is there something other than a nasty URI or pneumonia that would cause her symptoms like this....I hate that I am going to have to start forcing stuff in her now..

Honey keeps puffing up which makes me think she is in pain..could she have fallen maybe and hurt herself and that is why she is in distress?

We are worse this morning...I also noticed that her right front paw stays closed for the most part and when she tries to groom her hands make it about half way and then back down..like she can't raise them...her back left leg dragged a couple of times when she was walking as well...the noise if you can hear it in the video isn't actually coming from her nose or mouth but from her actual lungs or her sides...Appointment is in less than 4hrs and the time can't go by fast enough! https://youtu.be/jiypHBxr9O4

Back