A Little PSA...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
These past two days have been hell for me. I rescued a rabbit (named Norman) 6 months ago, and my best friends sister wanted him. I let them take him, and he lived in a C&C cage, and befriended a guinea pig. All seemed well, until Thursday morning, around 9a.m. I woke up to receiving a phone call from my best friend saying, "Zanya, it's Norman. Maggie got him. I don't know what to do!". Now, Maggie is his dog. She had attacked Norman when he jumped out the cage. She had skinned his bottom, his tail bone was showing, fur missing. My friend thought he was dying, and he was petting him as he lay on the floor, Norman was breathing hard. I rushed over and saw my friend in the hallway with Norman laying on the ground. I was terrified. His mother was not going to take him to the vet. This rabbit is the sweetest rabbit I have ever met.

Norman tried to get up but could only move his head. At this point, I thought he needed to be euthanized. I mean, I thought he had internal injuries and this poor baby was skinned on his bottom. I called my vet and they squeezed him in. My mother, who is an amazing woman, left work to come. She had a bond with Norman and didn't want to give him away in the first place. When we brought him, and they said he was in shock. He had an oxygen mask on and was receiving fluids. We got an x-ray, and our baby boy had no broken bones. The vet said we had a six hour window to see if he had any signs of internal injuries. She said she would not allow him to suffer and she would call us later that day. We said our goodbyes to Norman and went out to breakfast (Though I did not have any appetite...). Later that day the vet called. Norman was up and eating, and she was so surprised that he was doing so well. She cleaned his wounds and scheduled his surgery for 10:00 am the next morning. She was convinced she had to put back together/fix his urethra, that's how badly he was torn up on his bottom. We prayed that he would make it through the night.

We called the next morning and she told us he was doing very well and she was going to go through with the surgery. Later that day, we got a call saying that he was out and wonderful. As I type this he is safe in my house and received his pain meds and antibiotic earlier (Not to mention some yums!). He is so strong. I also have an antibiotic ointment I have to use on his wounds. He is getting his sutures out on the 26th. I have to thank my mother because without her Norman would have not received any treatment and would have died in that hallway suffering. She is such an inspiring woman, and she is my hero. Of course I helped, but I didn't have much to offer. The bill was over $700.

What I would like to say, since I see people putting their small animals with dogs and such all the time, please DON'T. It IS dangerous. A dog will be a dog, and a cat will be a cat. They have their instincts no matter how sweet of an animal they are. It is not worth it. It only takes a second for something horrible to happen. Another thing is save up for vet bills! Also, even if you don't have too much money, if an animal is suffering at least euthanize it humanely. Please. They don't deserve to suffer.

I really needed to vent and I hope my story will help people to see that they shouldn't put small animals with dogs or cats. Maggie is a VERY sweet dog, and nobody would have expected it. Also, please take precaution. This whole situation could have been prevented. And many other situations can too. :wave:

20150515_233358.jpg

I loved reading your post. I usually won't read long ones all the way through - but I did yours !
First - your mom is GREAT, what a blessing to have a mom that has unconditional love for animals. Tell her I said she is awesome :cuddle:.

:dancingbunny: :bunnydance: :dancingbunny: :bunnydance: :dancingbunny:
... sorry Norman - I could only find white bunnies !​

Yes - you are absolutely right about not allowing preditory animals to mingle with prey animals. Sometimes we humans think we really "know" our dogs/cats but instinct is a strong drive. I am very stern about that. Instinct will more than likely take over. Wishing him a speedy healing up. What a close call that was!
Norman is an adorable boy. Is he going to live at your house permanently now?

I know, I don't usually read long one's either lol. I will tell her in the morning :)
I just hate to see people posting pics on social media with their rat's on a dog's head or a bird on a cat. Makes me nervous.

Yes, he will be with me forever now, I don't trust anyone else! :dancingbunny:

I'm so sorry your little bun had to go through that, but so glad he survived! You go, Norman!
I'm also very glad your mom has such a kind heart and is willing to help even though he was not her responsibility. Hugs to her, and hugs to you and Normie.
:hugs:

Thank you for your post.
I am so glad that Norman will be ok.

I agree with you, particularly with regard to small animals like rats.
Rats should never be mixed with animals of any other species (except in unusual circumstances such as orphaned nursing babies being added to a litter and growing up with their new family). Rats are either prey or predators and mixing them with other species is very unsafe.
I find it extremely upsetting when people risk the lives of their pets by putting them together for their own selfish reasons.

I am so, so sorry that this happened to poor Norman, but SO glad that you were there to help him. You saved this sweet boy's life not once, but twice, and he's lucky to have you.

I was on pins and needles reading through your post. I'm so glad you everything turned out good.
Your message is very important and we should all take that advice.
Your mom is an amazing woman. It warms my heart to read such goodness from her, we usually always hear the opposite.

Thank you all for your kind words! We are not sure of any nerve damage with him yet, but I am hopeful. He is doing better, the pain meds kind of dope him up. As long as my baby doesn't have any pain!

Also, thank you for your kind words about my mom. She is definitely an amazing woman. She will do anything for our animals.

I just don't want this to happen to any other animals!

Yay to your mom!!! And to you for being there when called. We're all praying for Norman....

As for that other mom, carma is a ....... letting an animal suffer. Nice thing to teach your child!

Norman thanks you all for his well wishes! He fell asleep on my mom earlier today :mrgreen: :love5:
I am a little nervous because one front paw is kind of folded over and his back legs aren't moving too well. The vet said to give him time since he's sore. I just hope he can walk normally again! If not then he will still be loved :heart:

Normie.jpg

Norman got his stitches taken out today! He is finished with his antibiotic and pain meds. The vet found a scratch on his eye that created an ulcer so he is on eye-drops and goes back in a week for a check-up. He said that we are not out of the woods yet(still possibility of infection) but he and the vet techs said he was a strong rabbit and that most do not come out of the initial shock. Anybwho he is doing wonderful and we think he will be A-OK! Thank goodness! He is also walking better. The vet said that he has to learn how to walk again, but he can still feel everything in his legs so he has a good chance. The eye in the picture I attached is the one with the scratch so that is why it looks a little funky. He thanks everyone for the support! :)

20150526_230750.jpg

Update!!
So Norman is doing AMAZING. He is walking normally again and is healing well. He is even reverting back to his bratty(yet cute) ways. He hops around the living room and 'popcorns' when he's really happy. He loves to come over to get kisses and pets. He throws tantrums when he wants to come out or when we clean his boo-boos. :giggle:

He has hair falling out everywhere around his boo-boos but the vet said it was just from the trauma and it will grow back eventually. He is such a strong boy and the vet still can't believe he made it through that since rabbits go into shock so quickly and don't usually come out of it. (1 out of around 20!) I am so proud to own this strong, sweet, baby boy. I lub him(and so does my mom!) :heart:

20150604_010416.jpg

Yay Norman - way to go getting him well again! Your vet is right rabbits usually die when attacked from the shock. Unfortunately I know this from when my mom rescued a greyhound.

Back