One more became 5 More LOLOL

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

One was Franky, a supposed biter who had been at a shelter for 6 months with the staff scared of him and not much interaction. Poor Franky.

he's not a biter, he's sweet, a bit nippy but responds well to being told not to. he's nervous and will jump at a lot of noises but is really coming around. He's THRILLED to come out and run around...its like the best thing ever! And now he's learning to play :D

May%2010%2015%20Franky.jpg~original

the 2 wee girls from Oshawa who have their own thread.

and Wednesday night I picked up 2 very "unfriendly" boys whose owner had moved into a tiny apartment with no room for the cages.

Allan (now Frick) is a mink hoodie, who was supposed to be nippy, about 8 months old, and also very frightened. I was told he hid in his cage when people were around.

Umm...yeah. She loaded the boys up and brought the carriers back to me as I sat on the couch being barked at by their foster dog. :p

I opened up the carrier and "scared" boy came right up. I touched him, he squeaked and whirled on my hand.

Once I got him home, and held him in my arms and covered him up a bit he was very good...nervous at first, but slowly settling. :) He's going to be a sweet thing with a bit of work. :D

May%2013%2015%20mink%205.jpg~original

May%2013%2015%20mink%204.jpg~original

may%2013%2015%20mink.jpg~original

May%2013%2015%20mink%206.jpg~original

Look at that belly!

May%2013%2015%20mink%203.jpg~original

now onto Steve (now Maynard)...I was told he was an antisocial older lump, lazy as heck, didn't really like people but was okay with patting.

Welll....Maynard is terrified. He always feels he needs to get away or under something...this is what he did soon after I got him home.

"Where can I hide??"

May%2013%2015%20pearl%207.jpg~original

May%2013%2015%20pearl%205.jpg~original

May%2013%2015%20pearl%206.jpg~original

I got him out and he started to relax a little

May%2013%2015%20pearl%204.jpg~original

may%2013%2015%20pearl%203.jpg~original

May%2013%2015%20pearl%202.jpg~original

when he faced away from me and was shivering with nerves I know he had had enough :(

May%2013%2015%20pearl.jpg~original

I had him out last night under the blanket on my stomach, and he doesn't move, but seemed to tolerate my stroking very well. I think he may have gone to sleep for a bit. Then I had to go away fro a bit and tucked him into the cat carrier on the bed, and he hunkered down in there and didn't move. If you werent' watching he might lift his head and look around but if he felt you were watching, his nose would be tucked down. :( he's a lovely boy, he will need lots of work.

welcome to your new home kids! Frankie looks like he's gonna be a big squish
love Frick's belly spots!
awww poor Maynard, he looks so terrified! wonder why he's so scared?
he's got the sweetest face <3

Well it sounds like you have to put your snuggle cap on and give these guys lots of love and attention. They are so lucky. :)
Maynard sounds a lot like my scardy-rat Toby. He is still a nervous rat after almost a year - always a work in progress...

These poor sweethearts will soon have their life turned for the better and realize that humans aren't so scary after all. They all are such cuties... but come on, those spots on Frick are to die for. Sweet!!!!!!

Quick update. Franky is great, learning to bounce and play but is not good with other rats. If I have extra money I might get him neutered.
Frick is really improving. He's taking his meds like a champ and isn't just hiding anymore.
Maynard is the same, but not the same. He takes baby steps forward, then leaps backward. I have to force medicate but he's pretty good about it.
The Mudroom gals are still skitty but improving. Both are on preggy watch, but esp. Roo the baby girl. She's gained 25 g in a week. I have started her on bromocriptine and hopefully that will interrupt any pregnancy. Little Roo is likely to be carrying halfies ( or she was mated by a wild male rat) and that is not good for anyone.

Back